Acer spicatum

Discussion in 'Maples' started by kgeezy20, Jul 21, 2017.

1. kgeezy20

kgeezy20 Active Member Maple Society

Here are a few pictures of a neat species that I rarely get to see. I took these in the mountains of western North Carolina at about 5200' (1585 meters) elevation.

Attached Files:

JT1 likes this.
  2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

It's a very pretty species in bloom, and the fall color is good too. I germinated quite a few seedlings from these 2016 flowers, but this year with the freeze and the drought, I'll be surprised if any survive.

Lovely maple, thanks for the pictures in it's natural habitat!

-E

Attached Files:

kgeezy20 likes this.
  3. kgeezy20

kgeezy20 Active Member Maple Society

I would like to germinate some seed of this species as well. Does it do pretty well in your climate, Emery?

4. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I think so; it hasn't been in the ground long enough to really know. Mine is in the 3rd year in ground in 2017, when normally it would be getting going, but this year is so disastrous no maple is doing well. It kept its leaves during the hard freezes but buds were damaged and although it tried to flower there is no seed. Couple that with extreme drought and head conditions, hovering near 100F in late May and early June, and the fact that the leaves haven't colored or fallen is a good sign! Generally I'd say it's doing pretty well considering.

My notes say it put on a huge amount of root mass prior to planting out, so it was happy about something.

It has very good fall color here.