Acer palmatum [variegated seedling]

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Elmore, Aug 27, 2004.

1. Elmore

Elmore Active Member 10 Years

There is only one of this plant. I discovered it in a bunch of Acer palmatum under stock that I ordered in from a source in Oregon. In bumping them up I noticed just a little bit of variegation on this one so I set it aside. It is in a trade gallon now but I need to either shift it again or find a little niche in the yard for it to prosper. It appears to produce a good amount of variegated leaves and I will enjoy cloning it. Photos made in July 2004.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2004
  2. Andre

Andre Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Re: Variegated Acer palmatum seedling

So, one year later, do you still have the variegation ?

3. acer drewmondii

acer drewmondii Member

i now have five in my back yard but the tree do not go to seed in the fall

4. Elmore

Re: Variegated Acer palmatum seedling

Yes...still variegated. No leaves on it now but it was variegated in leaf.

5. Elmore

Here is the seedling as of yesterday.

Attached Files:

6. bmarley5780

bmarley5780 Member

I now see why they say to wait awhile for the plant to mature-

the varigated colors changed from white(looks) to the pink/yellowish(?)

still very nice

7. Elmore

Re: Acer palmatum [variegated seedling] Short But Sweet

Actually, it starts of with the colorful new growth and as the season progresses and the tissues harden off it fades to a yellowish cream color and fades even more as the season progresses further.
    I had a near disaster with this plant in the late spring. Typically, I held it in a container for too long, a 1g Root Control container. It kept drying out and falling over. On the last occasion that I found it dried out and blown over, it looked like it gave up the ghost. It was about 3' tall and showed a patch of necrosis on the stem about 10" from the base. I freaked out. I had such big plans for this plant. I hurriedly planted it in a location to be developed with Japanese Maples and Ginkgoes. I added CRF to the soil and even top dressed it with a good extended release fertilizer ( things usually advised against ). I watered it in deeply and slowly...over and over. I marked the necrotic patch with a sharpie and drenched the plant with Subdue. I waited a week or so then sprayed it with Phyton 27 and even watered it with a mix of fish based fertilizer and some of that miracle vitamin stuff from Hollywood, SUPERthrive. It was touch and go but I kept watering slow and deep then letting it dry out a bit before resuming irrigation. I noticed that the necrosis seemed to be spreading up the stem but very little down the stem so I removed the top 2/3 of the plant and sealed the cut with Phytech 50. Within about a month I noticed some small, pink buds swelling and soon leaves were appearing. At first all the leaves were simply green and I wondered whether the variegation was the results of a branch sport, which I may have removed. More time past and low and behold a grouping of leaves near the base appeared entirely yellow/cream. Soon some variegation appeared near the top of my greatly reduced plant. As soon as possible I will clone this little beauty. I call her "Seshuu".
    Here is what she looked like yesterday, 7-26-06. Now short but still sweet.

Attached Files:

8. shelli

shelli Active Member

Seshuu is BEAUTIFUL!!!

9. Acer palmatum 'Crazy'

Acer palmatum 'Crazy' Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Great story Brad, sounds exactly like something i would do.
    Glad you saved it, at least make you a one copy soon!

Mike