Acer palmatum 'Peaches and Cream'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Elmore, Jan 31, 2004.

1. eq72521

eq72521 Active Member

Here is my small peaches and cream leafing out. Pretty in spring and fall.

Attached Files:

2. winterhaven

winterhaven Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Today I went to visit a Peaches and Cream I've been drooling over. But as it was an impulse stop I only had the camera phone with me. So again it's not crisp.

But I especially like looking at these two P&C's because they're both large examples and they present differently.

The one on the left appears to be the more common form.

I THINK the one on the right is the pink version. Anyone out there care to chime in? It's one I've shared photos of before.

It does leaf out pink in the spring and it is currently holding more color. The close up photos of leaves are all the one on the right. I find it fascinating how very much the color varies depending on the amount of sunlight. The middle photo is from practically the top of the tree, I pulled it down to show off the contrast. And then the third photo shows some different looking leaves from the side of the tree.

Attached Files:

3. winterhaven

Argh - it's way too expensive for me but I just keep going back and breaking my heart. I even tried to negotiate on price on this large beauty and ran into a brick wall - they were offended. Sigh.

Anyway, I've been debating what to put next to the small more common version of P&C that I already have (which I bought because I couldn't buy the large tree). The Amber Ghost I originally put there clashed horribly. I've now ordered an Olsen's Frosted Strawberry.

4. eq72521

eq72521 Active Member

Sooo,
    What were they asking? Couldn't even buy such a beast around here. A Hogyoku that size would be ~600-700 bucks.

The leaves do look different. Mine look more like the leaves at the bottom of the third picture, with some of the last to grow leaves looking like the one's at the bottom right of the picture.

5. winterhaven

They want $850 - which it's totally worth if I could spend it. I've been drooling over this tree for eight months. I just can't do it.

Hmm. We've all talked about their being two versions of P&C, but it sure seems to me there might be more. Looking at post 26 (yours, eq72521) and post 5 (mjh1676) they look very like each other with the pink tips and the narrow elongated leaves (gorgeous, BTW). I haven't seen tips like that around here, but maybe I just missed them.

What I commonly see in this area is similar but not identical to mine in post 24 with less elongation and almost entirely white and green with maybe some dusting of rose but not usually. And the colors in mine seem a bit cleaner.

Then there is a third form that leafs out the blush color we saw in post 5 (LOVE IT) and I THINK that's what I'm seeing at the nursery in that large tree. I love that they have another of similar size growing right next to it that is the form I commonly see around here. I've watched them since about leaf out and I've loved getting to see the difference.

I wonder at color variations due to growing conditions? I thought I read somewhere a caution about growing P&C in full sun but the two at the nursery get quite a bit of NW light. And my personal young tree is planted in mostly shade but has one branch that gets about an hour and a half more direct afternoon light than the rest of the tree. It didn't burn but it looked very much different from the rest of the tree this spring. It was much more rosy but still not nearly as rosy as the rose form at the nursery. Unfortunately every time I went out with the camera the light was in the wrong location and I don't think I ever got a good picture of the difference while it was occurring the most in the spring. I have one that sort of shows it if you look at the one leaf that's all rosy that got the most light. But, then again, that leaf is new growth.

And I do have a picture of when I first planted Amber Ghost next to P&C when I was happy. But after AG's color change the two together were just ghastly.

Attached Files:

6. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

$850 for a P&C? Oh, please. That's a huge sum. BTW, I recently purchased a HUGE 6' tall and 5' wide dense Toyama Nishiki for which I paid $200. I did get a great deal, but I don't think I'd pay $850 for any tree. I'd be too afraid that the expensive cultivar would develop verticilium wilt, nematode problems, scale, aphids, whatever. It would be too worrisome to have in the garden, trying to protect this huge investment, especially when deer arrive late at night. My advice is to keep shopping and look at other growers and their prices. I'm certain you can get a better deal if you just wait a bit.

7. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

Here's my Peaches and Cream on May 14, 2009. It always leafs out with bright pink margins and tips, fading to a localized blush and finally losing the pinkness altogether as it prepares for summer. My P&C resides in a fairly dark area and receives only occasional filtered light. It has done very well in this location.

Attached Files:

8. winterhaven

That's my hope. But I'd like to find the pink form of P&C - that's what is proving challenging. Even the nursery with the tree for $850 has another P&C right next to it for $650 that is just about the same size - but it's not the pink form. This is the nursery that had a few Shishigashira for $1200 when the local nursery had a similar size for $525. And I got 40% off the lower price during their end of year sale! So I'll definitely keep looking.

OK - who out there has the pink form and where did you get it?

Edit: your tree looks lovely, BTW.

9. winterhaven

It's all mine, Mine, MINE!

I negotiated a good deal on that tree and it's in the back of the truck waiting for hubby to get home and help me lift it down.

Bwha ha ha ha... It's mine I tell you! :)

10. winterhaven

I've been obsessing about this tree since last fall. It's the tree to which my husband and I have been comparing all others.

Well, I got them to match the price of the other P&C so it was still spendy.

But HUBBY loves the tree. So I chose this tree over an amazing (spendy but less expensive than Peaches) mature Ukigumo and got Peaches for him for his birthday. He's a reluctant but willing participant in my obsession so I wanted him to have something he truly loves in the garden. And I love the tree, too.

And, yes, I am afraid of evil invaders to the garden that might take down the tree. But here's how I look at it: if I bought a less expensive, smaller version and grew it for ten or more years the tree would be just as valuable from a replacement standpoint. Plus I'd have all those years of care and attachment. So I'd be scared of loosing that type of tree, too. Further the larger trees are less likely to die. They've usually already been exposed to a lot of challenges and surmounted them. Moreover they have more, um, in humans I'd call it organ reserve, um more resources with which to face challenges. And I get to jump start my garden into looking more mature than it is.

11. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

Hey, no justification is necessary in obtaining a very special tree ... obviously one you and your husband have been coveting for some time now. I assume this new tree is luxuriating in a place of honor in your garden. And you're right, there are times when one is simply not willing to wait to see ten years of growth. A few years ago, when we decided to place some older trees in our garden, the landscape was totally transformed by the mass of these trees, and we've never regretted it. I hope you will post photos of your new acquisition and enjoy this addition to your garden.

12. winterhaven

Thanks. Yes, it is in a place of honor where I see it when I drive up. I have a photo of it but it does not do it justice. I think what this tree brings to the garden is it balances the other colors, shapes, and sizes. And I can't wait for fall (see it's fall color in post 20).

I still want to move Beni komachi, but I'm negotiating that with the hubby. I'm thinking if I move the Acer griseum it would fill a hole in nicely elsewhere and it would fix my spacing problem so that I could put in two in its place.

13. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Winter,

I'm so happy you have another baby!! LOL! Please post the requisite pictures of the new arrival! And here's a virtual bubble-gum cigar for you and Hubby!

P.S. Your Shisi is a plant I have dreams about... still ....

14. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

Just as an aside, I've moved dozens of JMs over the years for all the varieties of reasons. I've never lost a plant in these moves, and none of them have even wilted. They seem to be especially moveable, and I'm really grateful for that. Each year I move at least a dozen trees to locations I think will favor them in better light or lesser light, and all have improved with this dislocation. Like Gomero said once, Location, Location, Location.

15. winterhaven

Imagine a giant pink bubble... POP!

K4, thanks for the B-gum. We are very proud parents and have pictures to prove it. But the stunning spring and fall colors are already pictured earlier in the post, so I won't bore with a repeat.

mapledia, I'm going to point out to Hubby that you are a tree mover, too. I've been pointing out veteran gardeners to him and letting him know they move trees, too - so I must not be as crazy as he thought.

I know I want to change something but I'm not sure what. I have Beni komachi next to Pixie followed by Peaches. I don't want the red, red pattern. But I love how the shape and green hints in BK play with Peaches - and I want to keep it in full sun - and the ferns will hide the reverted branches until I see what they do next year (ferns will go if branches look good and if tree stays put). On the other hand I love how Pixie's vibrant color plays off the White Barked Birch. I'm thinking it's BK that needs to move, but the root ball on that tree is really big and heavy so I'm delaying the decision.

BTW, if you click on winterhaven and look at the Acer Alley Album you can see the before shots.

Attached Files:

16. winterhaven

Jinx!

OK. I AM obsessing about this cultivar's health and I'm seeing something that makes me concerned.

Usually I'm all about trying to make sure the trees are in healthy situations and if they're meant to live, blah, blah, blah. But not THIS tree. So I don't know much about chemical treatments. Don't they stress a tree as well as killing off (potentially) the bad guys? Since I just put this big guy in the ground should I wait and see? What are the implications of hitting it with Phyton27 - which seems to be the chemical of choice (if I can find the stuff)? Where do I find the stuff?

Edit: http://www.phyton27.com/distributors.html nothing close to me, but online at http://www.usorchidsupplies.com/prod7.htm

Attached Files:

17. eq72521

eq72521 Active Member

I am not so sure your jinxed yet.
    My first Ghost exhibits the same bark nature (black bloches) esp on newer growth.
    I am not sure it is helpful. Mine maybe diseased as well, but does not die back.

18. Cirque

Cirque Active Member

Winterhaven, you can order Phyton27 from Essence of the tree. I've become a firm believer in this product as have others. I have used it on
    newly planted maples with no ill effects. But with a tree as expensive as yours, you may want to check the manufactures site or at
    the very least call and talk with Trisha at Essence.

Regards

Cirque

19. winterhaven

The jinx is, I think, on me. In other words mapledia was right...
    I'll call Trisha today and see what she says.

I'm thinking (hoping, really) what I'm seeing is just the expected stress of transplanting a large tree during the hottest part of our summer (which is not very hot compared to other areas but the trees are adapted to it). Some die back at the tips wouldn't normally be of great concern. The spots make me nervous; although I've seen such spots on other trees that did just fine. There are some shriveled leaves that could be the result of wind damage (they were that way when I got home). All three things together added to the price of the tree make me very uneasy. That and I obsess about planting my trees anyway... did I use enough bone meal, did I use too much, did I give it enough water, did I give it too much, did I over attack the roots, did I leave girdling roots, did I dig the hole wide enough, is the hole too deep, is the tree planted too low or too high, and on and on and on.

20. winterhaven

Update: never was able to acquire Phyton27. Instead I watered carefully and gave it doses of soil soup. This spring it looks fantastic - very healthy (so far).

I have two Peaches and Cream trees. The younger one I posted about before (#30), I moved into a sunnier location and boy what a difference! I can now see peach and cream in the leaves. From across the yard it kinda looks like an orange sherbet. The older tree also has the same tones, but muted with more creams. It's in a location that receives a short burst of morning light and then filtered or ambient light for the rest of the day.

Attached Files:

21. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

Peaches and Cream is a delightful cultivar and has always performed beautifully in my garden. Each spring I look for signs of its parentage (shigatatsu sawa and beni shigatatsu sawa). My plant changes year to year, sometimes greener contrasting colors and sometimes with a vivid red blush on the margins, but always magnificent. The veins, as Vertrees says, are conspicuous. Eight years ago nurserymen avoided this cultivar probably because of its name, but they were wrong. It's a great addition to any garden.

22. mattlwfowler

mattlwfowler Active Member Maple Society

My issue is with Peaches and Cream is that there are two trees being sold under the same name. My understanding is that real peaches and cream has a leaf structure that more closely resembles Shigitatsu sawa, but with the coloration of a beni or aka shigitatsu sawa. The other tree being sold under the same name looks more like the images shown under first ghost in Japanese maples (3rd and 4th I think), with the lobe lobe tips dipped in pinkish red. That tree has a few lobes that bend to one side. But then I have a first ghost that looks like a creamy version of beni or aka shigitatsu sawa. This group continues to confuse me a bit.

23. winterhaven

I agree! In addition to those two main forms I have also seen devolved versions of those forms that just don't look like they aught.

For me, the form I'm acquired is what I want in a P&C; which is why I bought them. Shocking, right? LOL.

mapledia, you've mentioned that nurserymen avoided the cultivar because of its name. What did they perceive to be wrong with the name? It seems like a great marketing name to which retail buyers really respond.

24. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

If it helps any, I saw a brief description of 'Peaches and Cream' by Don Teese, the son of the man (Arnold Teese) who introduced it. He said "'Peaches and Cream' is a seedling of 'Reticulatum' and has cream leaves with long fingers and pink edges - rather delicate but very pretty." This seems to match well with the description in Japanese Maples 4th edition.

Maybe the multiple versions of 'Peaches and Cream' is only a problem in North America? If the plant material in Europe came directly from Australia then hopefully we have the original cultivar here. This is an example I photographed at Westonbirt last spring:
    Peaches and Cream.jpg
    See also the photographs of 'Peaches and Cream' at The Bodwen Nursery and Maillot Bonsai.

It is still not very common in the UK, as far as I can tell, but a few nurseries stock it; I might try and obtain one this year and if so I will post some pics.

25. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

winterhaven, I've heard two nurserymen say they disliked the name because they'd seen the name written out variously as "peaches and cream", "peaches n' cream", "peaches & cream" and "peaches and creme" and therefore didn't know if these spellings represented different cultivars or just misspellings of the same one. One nurseryman said he didn't carry it because he thought it was too "common." Frankly, I think his hangup was that he was so partial to all things red that he actively discouraged trees of another color.
    mapledia