Acer palmatum 'Peaches and Cream'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Elmore, Jan 31, 2004.

1. Elmore

Elmore Active Member 10 Years

Here is a young Acer palmatum 'Peachs and Cream', grafted in the summer of 2002. The picture was made in April 2003. This Australian introduction makes a small tree or shrub about 10' tall. It is grouped among the variegated Acer palmatum cultivars but I would go further and classify it as a reticulated form.
    Definition: [adj] resembling or forming a network; "the reticulate veins of a leaf"; "a reticulated highway system"

Attached Files:

2. MtnGato

MtnGato Active Member

The deer were destroying my Peaches & Cream this spring so I had to enclose it (please forgive the wire mesh!)

Attached Files:

3. mjh1676

mjh1676 Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Picture taken August '04 of mature leaf on a 2nd year tree purchased from Forest Farms Nursery in Oregon.

Attached Files:

4. chumasero

chumasero Active Member

Peaches and Cream

For Michael, as I promised.

Attached Files:

5. mjh1676

Re: Peaches and Cream

PG--Thanks, but be careful in the gallery as there is already an "Acer palmatum Peaches and Cream" photo thread. I think it is best to keep them together and also preferred.

In anycase, here are the two forms of this cultivar as far as I know. I thought I had both, but now it turns out I have two of the one you have. As I understand it, the orange or "peach" form. The other is the pink form.

Attached Files:

6. ColbyTrio

ColbyTrio Active Member 10 Years

Re: Peaches and Cream

Wow! THat is a gorgeous tree! Does it stay that color throughout the year? Where did you purchase the tree, if you don't mind me asking. I may need to just buy 'one more'.

7. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Threads Merged

Thanks for pointing out the duplicate threads on this one mjh1676. I merged them. There are several pages of maple photos here now, so I can see how that could happen. It is really nice to be able to compare images of an individual variety in one thread though eh?

I don't always follow all the posts here in detail (not a maple grower, but amazed by the enthusiasts here), so if anyone spots other duplicates please send me a message.

8. rkburgess

rkburgess Active Member

This is my best colored 'Peaches and Cream'. The other two that I have are more of a white with green veining.

Kent

Attached Files:

9. mjh1676

Hi Kent,

Nice to see you over here. I know that you and I have bantered about with this tree and while it will remain a mystery to some degree, the gallery really helps to sort things out. I would love to see fall color photos added sometime.

I really like your plant and the characteristics that you are able to get from it in whatever culture you have it in. I have struggled with this plant and it has not been a good grower at all, nor does it produce what I would consder acceptable characteristics. Now with age, maybe things will change. The dual photo I posted above was the discovery of both forms at a large nursery this spring, side by side. Had it been important enough to me, I would have bought them as they appeared fine plants.

I wonder if there is some some dilution with this plant, or the offering of seedling selections that maybe display lesser characteristics. When one finds the right plant, it is one of the better reticulated forms as it seems to hold its characteristics through the seasons where other fade to some degree. If it was just a bit more vigorous.

Michael

10. rkburgess

rkburgess Active Member

I ask one of the growers I use about this tree and the differences I have seen in the 3 I have and he said there are a few trees being sold under that name that all seem to be different trees. I put two of the more colorful ones on a fall order. We will see if I get one more like the picture posted here and above.

Kent

Attached Files:

11. mjh1676

Kent,

Does the tree I posted in this thread, Ariadne, on August 8, 2004 and again last night look anything like peaches and cream to you?

http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=2976

I have been on the fence about it as it seems close, but not quite right. It is also close but not qite right for the Ariadne photo in the Vertrees 3rd ed. Only time and age will tell I suspect.

Michael

12. rkburgess

rkburgess Active Member

Michael, from my experience the tree that I think is the best 'Peaches and Cream' is the one I have posted above. There is a great picture of what I think is the same tree I posted here on Mountain Maples website under P&C that is awsome. The other trees I have look more like the coloring of 'Shigitasu sawa' or 'Ariadne' and look like they are much weeker growing trees. They are not the same cultivars. The coloring and the leaf shape are very different.

Kent

13. rkburgess

rkburgess Active Member

Just for comparison, here is what the other P&C of mine look like.

Kent

Attached Files:

14. rkburgess

rkburgess Active Member

Michael, now that I look at your post of 'Ariadne' again they do look very much alike.

Kent

15. mjh1676

Hi Kent,

I think I will put this one aside again for now. I think we are just a few photos or facts away from putting things together, but I don't know what they will be.

Even if we look at the Esveld site and view some of their reticulate varieties, we see discrepencies. It is such a hard class to sort out with cultural differences and the effects of nitrogen and other nutrients. There is a lot to sort out with these things.

What I am preferring to Peaches right now is the First Ghost I am growing. With a bit more plamate leaf, it is a much more reliable tree so far. It also gets nice pinkish-red markings in the summer. If we blend Peaches and Shigitatsu sawa, we get close to what this tree offers, but Shigitatsu sawa can show some red too...so maybe we just stick with that one for a specimen!

MJH

16. rkburgess

rkburgess Active Member

This tree just amazes me with how it is so different from year to year.

Luckily it is one of many I grow in containers so I was able to move it back into the garage so as to avoid being damaged by our freeze last week. My 18 maples in the ground look like toast right now. The 80 I removed from storage Yesterday look wonderful as always.

Kent

Attached Files:

17. swanny

swanny Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Photo of my 'Peaches and Cream' taken a few days ago - evidently there are several different trees with the same name.

Swanny

Attached Files:

18. rkburgess

rkburgess Active Member

Here is a picture of the tree from above as it looks this year. This was just taken a couple days ago. It's different every year and it changes as the days progress.

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      237.8 KB
      Views:
  19. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

Peaches & Cream is a very pretty cultivar. When I first started collecting, I found several nurserymen shunned this plant because it was "too common" so I was late in acquiring it. After getting to know these nurserymen better, I found that they just didn't like the name of the tree very much. Peaches & Cream has performed so well in my garden -- it is beautiful throughout the growing season. I especially like the early leafing-out process, hopefully captured in this photo taken April 17, 2007.

Attached Files:

20. winterhaven

winterhaven Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Is Peaches 'N Cream the same as Peaches and Cream?

This is a photo of one I saw at the nursery. BTW, pic taken in October in the Pacific Northwest.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  21. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Beautiful!! Yes, I believe they are one and the same. The "N" is just a shorter way to write the 'and'. Perhaps 2 characters make a difference when you're printing a tag!

22. nelran

nelran Active Member

Very nice tree, indeed! Hopefully I'm far away of these nuseries. I can't imagine what I'll do to get these trees...

23. winterhaven

Spring '09

Attached Files:

24. winterhaven

Fully leafed out.

Edit: These are pictures of my personal P&C (not the one in question) that seems more typical. But even it got remarkably more pink (well, pale salmon colored) on a limb that gets significantly more sun than the rest of the tree.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2009
  25. winterhaven

This picture (taken on a camera phone so it's a little blurry) really demonstrates the difference to be found between examples of Peaches and Cream. The more prominent of the two really sends me. Wish I could afford the big tree or find a less expensive one with that coloration.

Edit: this is a late spring photo of the P&C at the nursery I THINK may be the elusive pink form.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2009