Acer palmatum 'Osakazuki'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Elmore, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Renata Magda

Renata Magda Member

Definately worth the effort but this one is not easy to get hold of where I live in Norway.

Attached Files:

2. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

Renata nice composition with the contrasting mossy stones in the back. Is that photo just taken?

'Osakazuki' here is still mostly green with some crispy edges.

Gil

3. Renata Magda

Renata Magda Member

Hi Gil,

Thanks. It was taken exactly same time of year but last year. However I'll add that last year was a cold summer :) I'm waiting patiently this year for what they call the cold 'snap' so I can admire my Osakazuki family in fall color!!!

Ren

4. cafernan

cafernan Active Member

Renata
    As the Osakazuky big fan that I am, Iask you please take a bigger picture if you can!!!

I hope one of my 4" tall little plants I´m growing from seed can survive and give me that reds!

Regards, from Mar del Plata, Argentina

Carlos

5. spookiejenkins

spookiejenkins Active Member

Hi Y'all,

I have a little 'Osakazuki' that I have had for two years. It was in a 4" pot for year one, then I potted it up to a #1 for year two.

I am wondering how vigorous these maples are... Mine looks happy, but has not grown an inch since I got it. I don't expect it to zoom, and I am certainly patient, but I sort of had it in my mind that these were faster growers. Do they just dislike container culture?

'Love to hear your thoughts! THANKS!

6. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

Spook,

I've grown 4 'Osakazuki' I would call them a sturdy grower rather than a fast grower.

Some years it takes off, others it seems to thicken up. All of mine are in pots except one that I gave away. The plant in the ground makes faster growth.

7. Renata Magda

Renata Magda Member

Carlos

Would love to see pictures of those as well. I'm sure you will get some extra red saturation since you are growing from seed!!!!!!

Renata

8. Cirque

Cirque Active Member

Two 'Osakazuki' at a local Western Washington public garden. Both are about
    20/25' tall. The picture doesn't even come close to showing how spectacular they
    really are. They had just started changing color when we snapped the pic. This
    garden has many beautiful maples.

Cirque

Attached Files:

9. cafernan

cafernan Active Member

Thanks a lot for the picture. My seedlings has stopped their growth, after they lose their leaves. I can see a bud and is still green.

I don´t know why it happens. Now, I´m waiting for warmer temperatures along the spring, hoping that helps and encourage new growth.

Any tips??
    Regards

10. swanny

swanny Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

This is the same tree as in my previous post of April 28th showing the red Fall color it is known for. This tree has the best color I have seen since purchasing it in 2003. As of today it still has all its leaves and looks to last a few days more.

Swanny

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
    Mani likes this.
  11. Cirque

Cirque Active Member

Spring 09 pic of 'Osakazuki'. This tree is about 6/7 years old and has been in the
    ground for maybe 5 years. I always like the red painted tips as they unfold, looks
    like 'Tsuma gaki' for a couple weeks then changes to a velvety green.

Cirque

Attached Files:

12. winterhaven

winterhaven Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Cirque,

That is a beautiful picture. Love it.

Have you been following the discussion about Osakazuki in the thread about Osakazuki Aureum? http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=49526

Have you ever measured your Osakazuki's adult leaves? If so, what measurements do you get?

And regarding the trees you mentioned viewing at a local Western Washington public garden... could you tell me where? I, too, live in Western WA and would love to see the trees (and measure the leaves, lol).

13. Cirque

Cirque Active Member

Hi Winterhaven,

I've been following that other thread too....it's really interesting. The leaves on our Osakazuki are about 5" in diameter once they are fully leaved out. As for the garden, we were just there last weekend. The trees are absolutely amazing and in "full spring" show. It's not a big place by any means...but Japanese maples are definitely the focal point. Many incredible specimens. The name of the place is Evergreen Arboretum and Gardens at Legion Park. It's tucked in behind the golf course. They have a website which will help with directions. It's a really nice park considering it's in Everett.

14. winterhaven

winterhaven Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Great, next time I'm on that side of the water I will check it out.

15. timnichols

timnichols Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Osakazuki - Have to love this tree's amazing dynamic contrasts throughout the season. This picture was taken in the early spring in early May

Attached Files:

16. JazzUp

JazzUp Member

Fall leaves.

Attached Files:

17. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

A lot of people when speaking about Acer palmatum ' Osakasuki ' talk about the amazing Autumn reds, but how about the Spring and Summer leaves that are there for 5 months of the year rather than just a couple of weeks, as my photo shows.

Attached Files:

sun and Mani like this.
  18. Acerholic

29th July 2020, it's turning !!!!! am I going to get a spectacular show this year, even though half my tree is missing due to a neighbour's tree crashing on it last Autumn.
    'I must move on', Lol.

Attached Files:

19. Acerholic

This is the 10th August 2020 and still in the heatwave. This is my continuing diary of my maples throughout the Summer as requested.
    My poor Osakasuki, damaged badly last Autumn and now losing leaves in the heat. What next!!?
    But Samaras are now appearing, perhaps it wants me to grow some babies !!!!??? Yes OK I'm losing it !!

Attached Files:

20. Acerholic

17th August 2020, now three days of heavy rain and my trees are picking up at last.
    Still struggling after last years damage, but it looks like I might get some scarlet reds this Autumn looking at today's leaves.

Attached Files:

21. MapleMO

MapleMO Contributor 10 Years

Most of my maples are pushing new growth as is my Osakazuki. It is one of my more recent additions and has been in the ground for a year. It was a little stressed last year and had some dieback so I am hopeful it will do well now. It is in full sun and is handling it better than expected after recent heatwave. Spring and fall foto from last year and current new growth.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  22. Acerholic

@MapleMO, I will be watching yours with interest M, as my 30 year old suffered a lot of damage in 2019 and is not faring too well.
    Glad to hear your is making new growth, this is an outstanding tree in the Autumn that really glows.

23. Acerholic

August 24th 2020 and I am keeping the photo diary going the best I can. So much rain and tomorrow 70mph winds forecast. Will the leaves be there for October!!!??
    Still struggling, but just about holding on. Little bit worried that this old tree might be coming towards the end of it's time. We will see !!!

Attached Files:

24. Acerholic

Well it's the last day of August 2020 and as we have had a lot of rain and cooler weather here in England over the past two weeks, all my maples are doing well for the time of year.
    Is that a fast change or what!!!??? So deep red.

Attached Files:

25. Acerholic

6th September 2020 and there has been a lot of talk on the maples forum about the strange colours this year. Yes they are strange, but enjoyable to see none the less.
    Fingers are crossed very much for my Osakasuki that it will colour up before dropping it's leaves this year. Might just get there but with very few leaves in the bright scarlet red it is known for.
    Lots of different shades going on atm.

Attached Files: