Acer palmatum 'Hana matoi'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by mapledia, Apr 8, 2007.

1. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

I moved mine to a sunnier spot (full sun from 2PM to 6PM), and it's doing fine.

I find the contrast between the khaki-green and the pink particularly striking.

Attached Files:

2. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

SO MUCH PINK this year, lol. I love it! Full sun to about noon.

Attached Files:

3. Maple_Lady

Maple_Lady Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

My Hana matoi also has a great deal of pink. Full sun to about 1 pm. Also, most of the branches are yellow. I would like to know if the yellow color is consistent with other members.

4. AlainK

Hi,
    Mine hasn't leafed out yet, but yes, the branches are sort of yellowish. To late now to take pictures, I'll take some tomorrow.

5. maplesandpaws

I'll have to check mine tomorrow Sam. When you say yellowish, do you mean Bihou bark yellow, or green with a yellowish hue to it?

6. Maple_Lady

I will take a pic of mine tomorrow. It is yellow, but not as dark as Bihou.

7. AlainK

Mine is actually not as yellow as I thought once it doesn't stand near cultivars with a green bark. It's more of a pale yellowish green:

Attached Files:

8. maplesandpaws

Mine. I would concur with Alain - it's still green, but on the yellower end of the spectrum.

Attached Files:

9. AlainK

I repotted mine before budbreak, and it seems to like it: a lot of new growth, and it's backbudding in some places too.

The colours are not spectacular, but last year, the pink variegation showed when its leaves had hardened and it was in full sun. Maybe it won't be as nice as last year because I added some slow-release fertilizer with a rather high %age of N, so it will perhaps produce more shoots and less variegation...

acerp-hanamatoi_160415b.jpg acerp-hanamatoi_160415a.jpg acerp-hanamatoi_160415c.jpg

10. AlainK

It didn't show as much variegation as the previous years, but the shape is filling out nicely:

acerp-hanamatoi_170730a.jpg acerp-hanamatoi_170730c.jpg

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  11. AlainK

I lost one of the lower branches last winter, but it's not so bad even if it is not as nice as it was last year: I must repot it in a larger (wider) pot and change the soil next spring I think.

I was afraid it would be rather fragile, but it's actually quite resistant to the heat when in dappled shade.

acerp-hanamatoi_170831a.jpg acerp-hanamatoi_170831c.jpg acerp-hanamatoi_170831d.jpg

12. Trey Dowdey

Trey Dowdey Member

Old thread here - but here is mine - Spring 2020. It has been in dappled shade with late afternoon sun. North central Alabama. Zone 8a/7b. The pink just gets more intense each year, and this is a tough maple. I dug it up in the heat of summer (August) in Alabama out of the ground to avoid maiming by a tree crew that was cutting down some limbs. Repotted, and it literally didn’t miss a beat. It has been a slow grower - had it for about 5 years and bought as a 2 year graft.

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.
  13. Maple_Lady

Hi Trey, Very nice color - and the leaves are more lacy and not as contorted - no that's not the right word, but the leaves on your Hana matoi are more civilized than most of the others I have seen. I had to have mine removed when I had a deck added. It was 15 years old and the bark at the base of the trunk had split open so I didn't try and save it. This is what it looked like on a very high graft. I had it in full sun to about 2 pm. This photo was taken in Sept/October 2018.

Attached Files:

Trey Dowdey and AlainK like this.
  14. Johnnyutah

Johnnyutah New Member

Hey everyone I got a Hana matoi this season before it leafed out and it doesn’t have nearly as much variegation as I was expecting it too. Do you guys ever have the variegation vary from season to season? Its in sun for about 6 hours. Hoping it isn’t completely reverted and just gonna be a regular lace leaf

15. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi @Johnnyutah, yes they do vary from season to season and for unknown reasons. Mine is not so varigated as last year.
    If yours is a young tree it will take some time for it to settle into it's new place and age will improve it's looks.
    This is a close up of mine from 8th May 2020 with very little varigation.

Attached Files:

Johnnyutah likes this.
  16. AlainK

Same here. I will add that on mine the leaves usually appear red, then the variegation shows a couple of weeks later.

Johnnyutah likes this.
  17. Acerholic

Here is my Hana matoi today 8th July 2020 after a shower of rain that it is really enjoying. I put this one in the ground in September 2019 and is doing so much better for the move. It gets protection from the wind and afternoon sun.
    IMO it is a dissectum that can compete at the highest level with any other dissectum.

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.
  18. Acerholic

This beautiful cultivar sparkles in the rain. I have to stop myself from getting drenched in the garden just staring at it. I hope you agree and will consider adding one to your collection or as just a one of stand alone to make a featured tree.
    Photo in the rain 24th July 2020.

Attached Files:

19. Acerholic

15th August 2020, lots of rain at last, the leaves have freshend up so quickly. My misting I carry out in the evenings in hot weather was of no use this year when temperatures were in the mid 30 C 's for many many days. It just evaporated so quickly.
    This why so many love Hana Matoi, the colours are so cheerful. Got rather wet taking this photo as well. Lol.

Attached Files:

20. Acerholic

27th August 2020 the winds have died down at last. Some suffered more than others.
    A different angle to my photo today, I placed my camera on the ground so that the way this one grows can be appreciated.

Attached Files:

21. Acerholic

September 3rd 2020 and Autumn is very quickly upon us now. But new growth!!? Yes there is !!
    Such a dark cloudy day today, that any colours are very welcome.
    Hana Matoi is showing a little scorch here and there, but it is September!!

Attached Files:

Luke’s Maples likes this.
  22. Acerholic

15th September 2020 and half way through the month already, but it is hot again, 30°C yesterday and expected hotter today.
    But as is so often at this time of the year, the morning dew is here again, making trees look pretty.
    Hana Matoi in particular looked good today.

Attached Files:

23. Acerholic

23rd September 2020 and the first full day of Autumn. We have lots of rain so the dissectums come into their own IMO.

Attached Files:

24. Acerholic

1st October 2020 and the colours are coming. Plus of course with this crazy year, new growth. My Hana Matoi after the rain in some sun was rather photogenic IMO.

Attached Files:

25. Acerholic

3rd October 2020 and my Hana Matoi has so many colours appearing this morning.

Attached Files: