Acer palmatum 'Felice'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by bub72ck, Jun 7, 2015.

1. bub72ck

bub72ck Active Member

Bright yellow and orange new growth with older leaves becoming dark green with red edges in sun.

6' tall and wide in 10 years.

This is a new tree for me and has been inside of a greenhouse so it does not yet have any red tinting on the leaves.

Attached Files:

2. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Some pictures from today 01/07/19 of my dissectum felice which is certainly showing some beautiful colours this year , reminds me of the colours of newly opening First ghost or Peaches and cream and a few other reticulated cultivars spring to mind.

Always something different to look at with this one , not your typical dissectum "red or green"keeps you guessing on the colours it throws out , the leaves will go a three tone bronze red and green and then finishing in the fall a dark glossy red.

Would reccommend this to anyone wanting a dissectum which is just that little bit unusual, but an eyecatcher non the less. This cultivar seems to get better with age i find, had this in the ground for 6 years now and this year it's certainly showing good leaf pattern with colour to match. Never been able to find another one though? they are out there somewhere in the UK.

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.
  3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

If you want those really dark green leaves in the Summer then Acer palmatum ' Felice' does not disappoint. Here is a photo of my Felice leaves in Summer 2020. Is it a green or is it a red? Seems to depend on where it is placed. Mine is just showing a touch of red at the outer tips and teeth. But in the Autumn it does go a fiery sheen red.
    As ROEBUK mentioned below it is a dissectum with a difference. I couldn't agree more.

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.
  4. Acerholic

My Felice on July 14th 2020 is full of vigor and showing lovely greens.

Attached Files:

5. Acerholic

What a difference a couple of weeks makes. Today's photo 24th July 2020 is a marked difference to the July 14th photo.

Attached Files:

6. Acerholic

My Felice is doing well even with the extreme Summer heat. Photo 2nd August 2020.

Attached Files:

7. Acerholic

August 6th 2020 and extreme heat is forecast over the next few days, so I thought I would post photos of my dissectums before and after to show how they cope. This I feel can be useful for people considering buying a particular variety.

Attached Files:

8. Acerholic

August 15th 2020, the photo diary continues as promissed. Everything apart from just a few have held up very well. The heavy rain over the past couple of days has helped a lot. I think we will get a reasonable Autumn show this year fingers crossed.
    A week on and the leaves on my Felice are getting lighter, I think in preparation for the Autumn show.

Attached Files:

9. Acerholic

20th August 2020 and after days of rain after a heatwave, everything is picking up again. Severe storms coming tomorrow, so I hope I can batten down the hatches so to speak and protect my trees.
    I love this maple, whatever the light conditions, it performs.

Attached Files:

10. Acerholic

22nd August 2020, as requested a further update on my Felice. What a very pretty cultivar this one is.

Attached Files:

11. Acerholic

August 24th 2020 and I am keeping the photo diary going the best I can. So much rain and tomorrow 70mph winds forecast. Will the leaves be there for October!!!??
    My favourite in my garden today, it is always a contender most days tbh.

Attached Files:

12. Acerholic

27th August 2020 the winds have died down at last. Some suffered more than others.
    Greens and dark reds, if you look closely!!! Love this cultivar!!!!

Attached Files:

13. Acerholic

Well its the beginning of September 2020 and the dew is appearing on the leaves. Together with the fast changing colours, it's that time of year of joy in the maple garden.
    A sugar frosting !!!!??? No, just a very early September morning in Southern England and my Felice.

Attached Files:

14. Acerholic

10th September 2020 and my maples are now racing into Autumnal colours. So warm and sunny at the moment, it does seem a bit strange though.
    No dew this morning, but my Felice is performing none the less.

Attached Files:

15. Acerholic

13th September 2020 and the sun is shining and it is getting warmer and warmer once again. So I hope my photo conveys this lovely near Autumn day.

Attached Files:

16. Acerholic

16th September 2020 and new growth is everywhere, due to this unseasonably warm weather.
    But my Felice is going along as it should. The darkness of the leaves is now very evident.

Attached Files:

17. Acerholic

23rd September 2020 and the first full day of Autumn. We have lots of rain so the dissectums come into their own IMO. My Felice is no exception.

Attached Files:

18. Acerholic

26th September 2020 when all around is doom and gloom, some maples are still showing new growth however cold it is. But what about Felice !!!? Behaving well IMO.

Attached Files:

19. Acerholic

2nd October 2020 and after a lot of rain, a little sun to shine on the ever changing leaves of my Felice.

Attached Files:

20. Acerholic

5th October 2020 and very ominous dark skies that made my flash go off when taking photos this morning. And as so many are interested in my Felice I thought I would add it today.

Attached Files:

21. Acerholic

16th October 2020 and my Felice this morning is still giving out each and every day. To those who have just bought one. You won't regret it!!

Attached Files:

22. Acerholic

23rd October 2020, a shower of rain with some sunshine breaking through and my Felice is something out of a fairly tale IMO.

Attached Files:

23. Acerholic

17th April 2021 and my Felice that is one of the late to leaf out trees in my collection, but it is now getting ready. I'm so glad it is a late bloomer so to speak, as these frosts here in Southern England are getting to so many trees in my neighbourhood. Brown new leaves absolutely everywhere atm.
    Felice 193.JPG

24. SLR2009

SLR2009 Active Member 10 Years

Hi ROEBUK, how much sunlight does your 'Felice' get? Thanks

25. Acerholic

22nd May 2021 and my Felice has only leafed out this last few days. The rain has helped lot.
    Felice 234.JPG