Acer palmatum 'Enkan'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by mjh1676, Apr 30, 2005.

1. mjh1676

mjh1676 Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

A very nice red-leaved linearlobum, maybe one of the best to hold its color into summer. The bark is a dark chocolate color and the leaves are larger than average for the linearlobums. This tree will produce a typical amount of more plamate growth on new and vigorous chutes, but the older leaves seem to thin-down very nicely.

This tree stands about 5ft tall and has lended itself to being staked with a stong central leader. It is currently about 3ft. in width and is gracefully semi-pendulous.

The lighter colored leaves are from 4/1/05, as is the backlit photo, and the darker leaves were obtained by exposure to full sun and taken 4/21/05. I will try to photograph the whole tree with an appropriate backdrop, as linearlobums photograph poorly from any distance besides close-up. I purchased this around the end of march 2005 and cannot say as to how old it might be.

Attached Files:

2. mjh1676

Enkan, while have good spring and early summer color, did as many red linearlobums do and has faded to green in late summer. The transitional color for this maples was the standared bronze color before turning green. One interesting characteristic is the way the leaves are held in a downward orientation on the end of the petiole. Photos taken 9/2/05.

Attached Files:

3. mjh1676

Here are two photos from today, 4/23/06. Enkan appears to have a stong propenisty to put out palmate growth in its spring flush, with a much greater prevalence in the lower part of the tree. The first photo is taken near the base of the tree, the second, about 2/3 of the way up. The leaf expansion with this plant is vigorous in the bottom 1/2 and much slower in the upper canopy.

Attached Files:

4. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

Do you have more pictures or info regarding this cultivar? How does it tolerate heat, sun, wind, etc? Is it fairly touchy or more hardy? It has been suggested to me by someone who favours it above Beni ubi gohon, both for coloration, growth habit, etc, and since I have no direct experience with either, your opinion would be appreciated. :)

5. kaydye

kaydye Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Since we are both in the same general area (Midwest), I thought I would respond. I have had this cultivar for about 3-4 years and it has been vigorous. It is growing in strong sun, but not all day. I have found it to be one of the few in my garden to remain pretty red all year, but the reddish branches have been what set it off. The combination is beautiful. I haven't had many palmate branches, either. My problem has been twiggy, kind of crazy growth and deer seem to like it a lot. I pruned off one of the larger branches in the fall to try to get it into more of a pleasing shape. It is one of my favorites. The other one that is similar for me is aka Hosada, also with great narrow red leaves and branches, but has been a more upright grower so far.
    Kay

6. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

Thanks for the firsthand experience Kay! :) It is nice to know that it retains it's color fairly well for you; we would be hotter than you of course, but it is a decent indication...