Acer palmatum 'Deshojo'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Elmore, Mar 5, 2004.

1. Elmore

Elmore Active Member 10 Years

Here is Acer palmatum 'Deshojo'.

Attached Files:

2. Andre

Andre Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

This is an Acer palmatum Deshojo starting turning green

Attached Files:

3. Andre

Here is a picture to see that all the new growth of Deshojo are red even in summer when all the spring foliage has already turn green.

Attached Files:

4. Andre

My Acer palmatum 'Deshojo' is long to lost it's leaves.
    2 first pictures taken on December 4, 2005.
    The last one on December 11, 2005.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2005
  5. Noxtra

Noxtra Member

Here is a picture from A. P. Deshojo with fresh flushed foliage taken April 5th here in Southwest Missouri. I overwinter containerized trees in a coldframe so they do flush out a little early!

Lee

Attached Files:

6. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

'Deshojo' at Westonbirt, end of April, fantastic spring colour. Third picture with 'Inaba shidare' in foreground.
    Deshojo1.jpg Deshojo2.jpg Deshojo3.jpg

7. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

Spring has come very late this year.
    Many of our maples are still in bud. However, this one is looking rather colourful.
    Planted in May 1998. Pic taken today. April 17th 2010.

Attached Files:

8. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

As a lot of photos will be lost in the 1900 plus replies on another thread, I thought I would add my Deshojo pictures here, from Spring to Autumn. A colourful cultivar at any time of the year.
    Photo 3 is Deshojo btw.

D

Attached Files:

9. Acerholic

A lot of people have asked me over the years " is Deshojo just a Spring time maple"? If you see my photo today 30th July 2020, I think you have your answer.

Attached Files:

10. Acerholic

7th August 2020, rain through the night thankfully, as it's going to be the hottest day this year in the UK. I will post my maples during and after this heatwave.

Attached Files:

11. Acerholic

This is the 10th August 2020 and still in the heatwave. This is my continuing diary of my maples throughout the Summer as requested.
    New growth on my Deshojo, Oh so late !!!

Attached Files:

12. Acerholic

18th August 2020 and everything is colouring up along with new growth. Almost looks like Spring and Autumn at the same time in my garden. So strange, but a nice strange if you get my meaning.
    A few discussions these last few days about Deshojo, so as promised here is mine today. Lovely colours and small but pretty new growth.

Attached Files:

13. Acerholic

22nd August 2020 and my garden is looking like its Spring, all my maples are putting on this amazing amount of new growth. The weirdest year ever !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    So bright and cheerful, the colours for August on my Deshojo are just amazing.

Attached Files:

14. Acerholic

28th August 2020 and the ground is incredibly wet for the time of year. Just had more hail stones and my maples that are heavy in leaf do not like it one bit.
    I really am not sure whether this is Spring or Autmn colour, such a strange year. But very colourful anyway.

Attached Files:

15. Acerholic

1st September 2020 and the very first Autumn dew arrives after a rather cold night.

Attached Files:

16. Acerholic

6th September 2020 and there has been a lot of talk on the maples forum about the strange colours this year. Yes they are strange, but enjoyable to see none the less.
    A little early morning sun and dew and my Deshojo brightens this area of my garden.

Attached Files:

17. Acerholic

13th September 2020 and the sun is shining and it is getting warmer and warmer once again. So I hope my photo conveys this lovely near Autumn day.

Attached Files:

18. Acerholic

19th September 2020 and Summer is ending this weekend according to forecasts. Bright early morning sun is still helping maples in my garden to look nice.
    I was asked about Deshojo a few days ago, so here it is in transition phase.

Attached Files:

19. Acerholic

22nd September 2020 and tbe Autum Equinox is here and so are the changes. So many colours on my Deshojo today.

Attached Files:

20. Acerholic

5th October 2020 and very ominous dark skies that made my flash go off when taking photos this morning. My Deshojo in a strange but wonderful light after a lot of rain looked very pleasing IMO.

Attached Files:

21. Acerholic

My Deshojo this morning on the 13th October 2020 has a colour that pleases me greatly, its not everyone's cup of tea but I like it..

Attached Files:

22. Acerholic

20th October 2020 and everything is moving along now. Colours emerging every day. My Deshojo has a muddy look to it, but I think this is rather nice.

Attached Files:

23. Acerholic

6th November 2020 and my Deshojo has held on to it's leaves but they tend to get lost in the bark and fallen leaves of the other trees. So here are two photos including a close up..

Attached Files:

24. MapleMO

MapleMO Contributor 10 Years

Hi D,

It seems the trees in this group keep their leaves longer than most. My Corallinum is also still going strong. The leaves also look quite similar. Do you see any real differences in growth habit or any other differences between trees like Shin (deshojo), Beni maiko, Corallinum etc?

25. Acerholic

@MapleMO good morning M, hope it's a lovely sunny start to the day for you also.
    Yes you are so right, the similarities between Deshojo, Corallinum, Beni Maiko and of course Shin ( new ) Deshojo.
    I find their growth habit very similar but Deshojo is very much a ground hugger in my garden, more so that shin Deshojo. Beni Maiko shoots everywhere and is especially vigorous in late Summer. I do have to shape and prune in February/March otherwise it gets totally out of control. It does hold its leaves quite late, the same as Corallinum.
    Now my Corallinum and tbh my Coral magic are strong growers and do well in full sun. But both have a more controlled growth if that makes sense.
    With all of these cultivars I find that Spring is the time of greater difference in colours. During the Summer there is little to distinguish between each of them, other than the plant labels. But as I said, I tend to have these for Spring interest primarily.
    Hope I haven't waffled on for too long M. Interesting to discuss !!!