Acer palmatum 'Chitoseyama'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by whis4ey, Aug 1, 2007.

1. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

The 'English' version of this tree has a distinct beauty of its own
    Chitoseyama

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2011
  2. schusch

schusch Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I agree. I have both : and the green version is pretty great.

3. conifers

conifers Active Member

The US National Arboretum, late May, 2006.

Attached Files:

4. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Pic 1 'Chitoseyama' lower, 'Ki hachijo' upper left. Tree is low, 9' {3 m.} and spreading, richly fall coloured. Gets about 1/3 day morning sun and might do better with more, then probably retaining purplish colour and not greening so much from the shade. Pics 1,2,and 3 taken Oct. 10/07. Pic 4 taken Oct.28/07, bright day.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2007
  5. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

The original Chitoseyama was first described in the list of 1882 and has dark purple leaves

My own plant originated in Exbury Gardens England in the early 1990's and for some peculiar reason was given the same name

The leaves here are an olive green, then turning bronze green to deep green as the season progresses. It is still a very pretty plant.

Attached Files:

6. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Certainly seems odd. "Hillier's Manual of Trees and Shrubs" 6th edition stating ''a dense mound-like habit with gracefully drooping branches " seems to describe the tree grown here, and shown in Dax's {conifers} photo. The multiple names are already confusing with similar but different trees being lumped together in some reference books it seems, or new editions. Nice looking , guess an "Exbury form" would be a way to differentiate the trees.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2007
  7. sasquatch

sasquatch Active Member

May 2008 and October 2007

Attached Files:

8. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

I really enjoy this tree in a large size.

Attached Files:

9. amazingmaples

here is a big one and a small one.

Attached Files:

10. amazingmaples

Here is the fall color of 2011

Attached Files:

Luke’s Maples likes this.
  11. amazingmaples

This is one of my favorite trees. I look forward to the colors for 2012

Attached Files:

12. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

My new 'very little' Acer palmatum 'Chitosayama ' is kept in a lot of shade to get it through the heat. It is being protected by a very old Going green.
    This is my first posting of this cultivar and I will show how it gets on regularly.

Attached Files:

13. Acerholic

17th August 2020, now three days of heavy rain and my trees are picking up at last.
    My last photo was in the intense record heat, but now my Chitosayama is very happy indeed.

Attached Files:

14. Acerholic

20th August 2020 and after days of rain after a heatwave, everything is picking up again. Severe storms coming tomorrow, so I hope I can batten down the hatches so to speak and protect my trees.
    Just a few days of rain and my Chitosayama is now doing well.

Attached Files:

15. Acerholic

27th August 2020 the winds have died down at last. Some suffered more than others.
    OK not a lot of difference, but as it was requested last night, here it is is today.

Attached Files:

16. Acerholic

Well its the beginning of September 2020 and the dew is appearing on the leaves. Together with the fast changing colours, it's that time of year of joy in the maple garden.
    I just love this time of year. And so does my Chitosayama.

Attached Files:

17. Acerholic

A lot of PM's last night asking about many of my cultivars, so here this morning, 11th September 2020 is my Chitosayama in deep reds now.

Attached Files:

18. Acerholic

12th September 2020 and believe it or not, new growth is everywhere in my garden together with Autumn colours emerging. Temperatures of 31°C expected in a couple of days.
    A PM late last night asked how much green is still in the leaves on my Chitosayama, so here it is today.

Attached Files:

19. Acerholic

19th September 2020 and Summer is ending this weekend according to forecasts. Bright early morning sun is still helping maples in my garden to look nice.
    Chitosayama is very young tree in my garden and us behaving more like a shrub than a tree, but in the right position this is OK.

Attached Files:

20. Acerholic

26th September 2020 when all around is doom and gloom, some maples are still showing new growth however cold it is.
    But my Chitosayama is behaving as it should.

Attached Files:

21. Acerholic

9th October 2020 and my low growing Chitosayama has the deep reds all over now. A few days time it will be a crimson scarlet that dazzles. But to show how it transforms, here it is today.

Attached Files:

22. Acerholic

15th October 2020 and the continuing photo diary of my Chitosayama. The subtle change in colouring with a hint of what is to come is a highlight of this cultivar.

Attached Files:

23. Acerholic

17th October 2020 and I wanted to show how my Chitosayama holds onto it's colours. Now some have an intense scarlet early in the Autumn, but here in Southern England you have to be very patient as I said on about,e of PM's last night.

Attached Files:

24. Acerholic

23rd October 2020 and now the bright reds are appearing on my Chitosayama.

Attached Files:

25. Acerholic

May 3rd 2021 and my first outing of my Chitosayama. It's taken a while due to the very cold March and April, but here we go now.
    Chitoseyama 211.JPG