Acer palmatum 'Carlis Corner' or 'Carll's Corner'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Elmore, May 24, 2004.

1. Elmore

Elmore Active Member 10 Years

Here is a small, full gallon, Acer palmatum 'Carlis Corner Broom'. Photos made 5-7-04.

Attached Files:

2. mjh1676

mjh1676 Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Re: Acer palmatum 'Carlis Corner Broom'

Here are photos of a small gallon plant I have just begun growing. Not sure about overall size or growth rate, but seems to have the same general form as most other brooms of its type. Yet another shade of red.

Attached Files:

3. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

There appears to be some confusion about the name of this cultivar. I've seen it written "Carlis Corner" and also "Carl's Corner." Yet another problem with nomenclature common to the collection of JMs. Whatever the name (mine was tagged 'Carl's Corner'), it behaves maddening like all other brooms, i.e., slow-growing, sometimes given to entire limb die-off for no apparent reason, and is just plain finicky at times. Still, when they look good, they do look really good. This photo was taken May 9, 2010.

Attached Files:

4. katsura

katsura Active Member 10 Years

Barbara,
    I believe the correct name is 'Carll's Corner' which is a shopping center in Bridgeton/Upper Deerfield, NJ near
    where the original witches broom was found in a tree. This has been discussed by me and ScionSwapper under
    the thread 'Mary Katharine' which is just another name for the same cultivar from the same original broom.
    ScionSwapper grafted a Carll's Corner & a Mary Katharine on the same rootstock for me and the cultivars are
    identical. It appears the second 'l' in Carll's has been dropped or changed to an 'i' in various iterations.
    ScionSwapper has wisely suggested that witches brooms be named after the location of the original broom
    which might cut down on renaming which adds to confusion. Perhaps someone in the area could expand upon
    the exact description of Carll's Corner section of NJ.

5. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Despite being a mis-spelling, the 'Carlis Corner' version of the name seems to have taken on a life of its own, for example that is what it is listed as in Vertrees/Gregory and most nursery websites. It might be a bit late in the day to change it back to "Carll's Corner", even though that is unquestionably the original. I will change the thread title to "Acer palmatum 'Carlis Corner' or 'Carll's Corner'", that way people will know what they are looking at no matter which name becomes more popular in the future.

I enjoyed rereading the story of this maple in that other thread, thanks for mentioning it Katsura, it was an enjoyable read.

From the UK national collection at Westonbirt:
    Carlis Corner.jpg