Acer palmatum 'Butterfly'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by mr.shep, Apr 24, 2004.

1. bub72ck

bub72ck Active Member

May 2015 of Butterfly. This tree is about 7.5' tall and is very happy in my yard.

Attached Files:

2. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

I bought this one on sales today, 50% discount, €23.

From the base of the pot, the highest branches get up to my eyebows, so it must be around 1m50 or so, a good bargain since I checked a few buds and they were all green inside.

I read the first messagesin this thread and I wonder if the variegation in this one will be like the one on the other one I have...

Attached Files:

3. bub72ck

bub72ck Active Member

That's a good deal Alain. The Butterfly often gets labeled as "dated" in the Japanese Maple world with all of the new variegated cultivars out there but mine always offers beautiful colors and a great fall showing.

4. AlainK

Well, it may be "labeled as "dated" in the Japanese Maple world", but it diplays shades of mauve that I find unique, yet my collection is limited so it might not be so exceptional after all?...

5. bub72ck

bub72ck Active Member

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :) If we think they are exceptional, who can tell us otherwise?

6. AlainK

I've got two, one potted in a very shallow pot (bonsai-like) and in full sun most of the day, another one in half-shade, in a 40-cm high plastic pot.

They're from different sources, the second one was bought some ten years after the first one, and neither of them have ever shown fungal diseases or sun-scorched leaves.

acerp_but01_160917a.jpg

7. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

I bought a Butterfly from Sooner a couple of years ago. It's one of my favorites. and 5 1/2 ft. high now. I haven't seen many locally but I spotted a couple at a nursery and I picked one up on sale this week. It's about 7 ft. tall. So now I will have one on each side at the end of the brick path between my house and garage leading to the backyard.

Attached Files:

8. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

My Butterfly is now 30 years old, I have trained it to expose the branching with leaves showing at the very top only. This gives a pleasing effect when lit from underneath at night.

D

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.
  9. AlainK

10. Acerholic

July 20th 2020 and my Butterfly is still looking fine. No problems with the strong winds at all. Summer pruning once again to lift its canopy higher.

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.
  11. Acerholic

My last photo two weeks ago showed the whole tree, but today 3rd August 2020, I felt it needed a close up to appreciate the varigation.

Attached Files:

12. AlainK

This one is also in the shade: on the right a big red-leaf Prunus, on the right a 3.50 metre-tall Acer palmatum palmatum. (and in the background, you can see the beginning of the limbs of a Zelkova serrata).

acerp_but01_200814a.jpg

Acerholic likes this.
  13. Acerholic

@AlainK, just love the blends of all those shades of green in that area Alain. Looks so cooling and with the weather you have had, a much enjoyed view.
    Very clever planting !!

14. Acerholic

15th August 2020, lots of rain at last, the leaves have freshend up so quickly. My misting I carry out in the evenings in hot weather was of no use this year when temperatures were in the mid 30 C 's for many many days. It just evaporated so quickly.
    My Butterfly with early morning rain drops.

Attached Files:

15. Acerholic

28th August 2020 and the ground is incredibly wet for the time of year. Just had more hail stones and my maples that are heavy in leaf do not like it one bit.
    So much leaf and still doing well. The varigation has held up well this year, with little to no reversion.

Attached Files:

16. Acerholic

7th September 2020 and in Southern England it is getting warmer once again. So surprised to see my maples with such dry leaves this morning. But this year is so very different for so many reasons!!?
    Now they are starting to yellow up a little and the red new branches from this year are standing out also. A lovely combination IMO.

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.
  17. AlainK

About the same here...

18. Acerholic

I had to water again today, ground was very dry. But must not complain after what you have gone through.

19. AlainK

Surviving... ;°)

But some trees have dried leaves, Atropurpureum dissectum (not too bad), Ryusen (more serious), and Acer triflorum (almost totally dry) :

acerp_atro-dis02_200907a.jpg acerp-ryusen_200907a.jpg acer-triflorum_200907a.jpg

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    Acerholic likes this.
  20. AlainK

This one is so strong on its own roots: it's in a 5cm high, about 25x35 pot, and 50 cm tall. No fertilizer for one year...

A photo (West/North-west) with a red leaf from the Prunus :

acerp_but01_200921a.jpg

Acerholic likes this.
  21. Acerholic

One of the strongest maples in my collection and I see it's yours also. Diffferent shape to mine, but I like how yours falls Alain.

22. Acerholic

2nd October 2020 and a very soggy Butterfly with a break in the clouds for a few minutes.

Attached Files:

23. Acerholic

15th October 2020 and the soft tones of my Butterfly gives the eyes a rest from the bright colours all around. Very important IMO.

Attached Files:

24. Acerholic

24th October 2020 and bright sunshine before a storm coming in fast.
    My Butterfly has pinks over the whole of the upper canopy. Never let's me down this cultivar.

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.
  25. Ultraman

Ultraman Active Member

A. P. Butterfly in China Grove, NC USA

Attached Files:

AlainK and Acerholic like this.