Acer palmatum 'Beni kosode'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Gomero, May 12, 2008.

1. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

According to Yano's Book for Maples, this cultivar was introduced (in Japan I presume) in 1978. Taking this into account it is surprising it is not as widely known and available as other more recent cultivars.
    The plant in the pictures comes from G. Maillot of France. The first picture was taken today and shows the unusual strong pink color that makes this cultivar so desirable. The second picture was taken late summer last year and shows the late season variegation.
    It is a late leafer and I planted it in the ground in dappled shade.

Gomero

Attached Files:

2. katsura

katsura Active Member 10 Years

very nice colors, Gomero. Would love to add one to my
    variegate collection but have never seen it offerred over here.
    Thanks very much for introducing it to me.

3. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Yes , interesting maple, quite a transformation from spring to fall, shape and colourwise. Leaf shape seems unusual, to me anyways. Very nice.

Last edited: May 14, 2008
  4. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

Gomero has very ably given background information on this lovely cultivar. Mine is late in leafing out in the spring, but it does form early leaf buds. It's maddening to see the buds and then have to wait for 6-8 weeks for something to happen. Spring color is brilliant. The first photo is of my Beni Kosode taken May 11, 2008, and the leaves are not as big as normal due to hard frosts in this area well into the first week of May. The second photo shows the interesting autumn color, and it was taken of the same plant on October 17, 2007. Mine is a young plant (now 3 years old) and it's in a pot. I bring it inside when a hard frost occurs in springtime. It spends it's day in bright filtered light.

Attached Files:

5. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

I do love this cultivar but despair at its incredibly slow growth rate. I've had no problems with it, no die-back, but though I have had it for over 5 years, it still looks like a first-year graft. Still, it's delicate and very beautiful.
    mapledia

Attached Files: