Acer palmatum 'Beni hagoromo'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by alex66, May 2, 2012.

1. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

very interesting cultivar young leaves are deep purple ,after rich green and red

Attached Files:

2. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

I like this one a lot.

Dates in the name of the photos.

The last photo doen't show the autumn colors, this is actually an "end of summer new growth", the leaves are much less serrated than the spring growth.

Attached Files:

3. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

lovely!:-)

4. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

The fall color looks to be yellow with some orange to it. Not exactly a great year 2013 for this tree's fall color. Maybe in a few days it will color up or turn to brown due to all of our fog.

Attached Files:

• 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      466.4 KB
      Views:
  5. AlainK

Of the two potted ones I have now, one lost its leaves at the same period when the others did, but this one which stayed in a very shaded place kept its leaves longer, and they are an amazing colour.

Two photos taken today (the tree in the background is the type species, in the ground), and one taken in May. The tree's still very small, so far only close-ups of the leaves are interesting.

When I hear about, or watch on TV, the snow on the east coast of the US... Well, the climate here seems to be turning semi-mediterranean instead of semi-oceanic: more than the colours, what's unusual is the fact that there are still trees, even potted ones, that still have mostly green leaves on.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  6. AlainK

Green leaves on, turning warm colours in the past 2-3 days.

Attached Files:

7. Schattenfreude

Schattenfreude Active Member

Fresh leaves on my new Beni hagoromo just starting to unfurl this spring. Very unique... and colorful!

P4120958.JPG P4120959.JPG

Kevin in KC

8. AlainK

'Beni Hagoromo' seems to fare well in a sunny spot as long as it's watered when it's hot.

This one is in a plastic pot, full sun between tsunrise and 3 pm. The red shoots are more new shoots than leaves taking the autumn colours. The leaves are very healthy compared to other Acers around.

Attached Files:

9. AlainK

It is beginning to show autumn colours, and they're more in shades of pink than red:

acerp-benihag02_160917a.jpg

10. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Acer palmatum 'Beni hagoromo' at Leuty Nursery in Novelty OH.

Beni: red, deep crimson
    Hagoromo: angel's raiment, robe of feathers.

Tag: Common name Red Japanese Angel's robe Japanese maple. An upright tree with medium sized canopy. Beautiful brown-purple-red leaves are red in Spring. Each feather like leaf is attached to the stem without a petiole. 7' tall x 4' wide in 10 years. Pictures from 5/22/2018.

Leaves are red, feather like and trees appearance is like a crimson robe of feathers.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  11. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I thought I would add my Spring and Autumn photos of my Beni Hagoromo. As you can see the colours in both seasons wonderfully brighten up a garden. In Summer it can get overlooked a little amongst my reds and ghosts.

D

Attached Files:

12. AlainK

I have two that have always shown slight differences, one redder than the other. Bought from the same provider, a few weeks apart.

The first one is mostly in the shade and turns green quicker :

acerp-benihag01_200611a.jpg

The second one is full sun until 2PM (14:00), the sun is probably why it retains reddish hues longer. It is also not as strong as the first one and probably needs repotting.

acerp-benihag02_200611a.jpg

I should put them side by side one of these days...

13. Acerholic

Lots of tinges of pinks on mine today 23rd July 2020.

Attached Files:

14. Acerholic

My Beni Hagoromo has turned to the dark greens now from the new growth 10 days ago.
    Photo 2nd August 2020.

Attached Files:

15. Acerholic

13th August 2020 and the heatwave has now taken it's toll. New growth and old all suffering.
    But as promised I'm adding these photos to show how cultivars cope at different times of the year and in different conditions. Some definatly not pretty, so have not put them on the Cheering ourselves up with maples thread !!!!
    This is where they should be.
    Still some new growth hanging on but for how much longer.

Attached Files:

16. Acerholic

15th August 2020, lots of rain at last, the leaves have freshend up so quickly. My misting I carry out in the evenings in hot weather was of no use this year when temperatures were in the mid 30 C 's for many many days. It just evaporated so quickly.
    Does this look a happy Beni Hagoromo, I think so !!!!

Attached Files:

17. Acerholic

18th August 2020 and everything is colouring up along with new growth. Almost looks like Spring and Autumn at the same time in my garden. So strange, but a nice strange if you get my meaning.
    Well after all the rain, this is my Beni Hagoromo a few days later. Very high humidity atm and my maples are loving it.

Attached Files:

18. Acerholic

22nd August 2020 and my garden is looking like its Spring, all my maples are putting on this amazing amount of new growth. The weirdest year ever !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    My Beni Hagoromo is awash with colours today. The rain has freshened it up nicely.

Attached Files:

19. Acerholic

25th August 2020, the calm before storm Francis arrives. The new leaves have opened and I'm very pleased how they are giving Spring like interest in my garden.

Attached Files:

20. Acerholic

9th September 2020 and new growth springing up everywhere. It so warm and today at 0800hrs it was 18°C.
    My Beni Hagoromo will not stop putting out new shoots. But they are welcome at any time of the year.

Attached Files:

21. Acerholic

16th September 2020 and new growth is everywhere, due to this unseasonably warm weather.
    My Beni Hagoromo is sprouting in all directions!!!

Attached Files:

22. Acerholic

20th September 2020 and new growth plus some strange colouring on my maples now. Will this survive an early Autumn frost!!!?

Attached Files:

23. Acerholic

28th October 2020 and my Beni Hagoromo has a lovely array of reds now. But not many leaves left after the very strong winds and heavy rain.

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.
  24. Acerholic

3rd November 2020 and my Beni Hagoromo in the sun this afternoon shows why this is such a popular cultivar. Just so many colours !!!

Attached Files:

25. Acerholic

9th November 2020, its damp, cold and overcast, but this has not stopped my Beni Hagoromo putting out colour this morning.

Attached Files: