Acer palmatum 'Asahi zuru'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Elmore, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Elmore

Elmore Active Member 10 Years

Here is a little Acer palmatum 'Asahi zuru' that I obtained a couple of years ago. It certainly is not a vigorous grower like 'Oridono nishiki' but it makes up by being much more freely variegated. Pictures were made, left to right, April 2003 and June 2003.

Attached Files:

2. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

This is a mature specimin ... first year planted so still to show of its best

Attached Files:

3. Elmore

Elmore Active Member 10 Years

nice plant

That's a nice plant Sam. How old is it? What kind of exposure does it get? Elmore

4. whis4ey

It is sheltered by a band of trees .... gets afternoon sun (not too hot in Ireland)
    I am hoping that this year will show a marked improvement. I have found that the second year after planting out into the ground makes a massive difference in the development of the tree. Will take another pic later in the year to see how it goes

5. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Really a very satisfying cultivar showing extremely healthy growth, (up to 1 m. this season). The spring growth was mostly green but then the new summer growth is heavily variegated, a good choice for summer interest. The plant is in the ground and sees about 1 hr of afternoon sun. There is a slight leaf scorch. The first two pics are of late May and the third in July.

Gomero

Attached Files:

6. whis4ey

Just as a follow up
    My plant suffered severe frost damage this year with heavy die back. I feared I might have lost it completely. Although protected by other trees it must have been in what is known as a frost pocket. I have no other explanation as to why it should have suffered so heavily given where it is planted
    This is the new growth that came back, so it looks as though it will be fine, albeit set back a year. Here's hoping it doesn't get another similar attack this coming winter

Attached Files:

7. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

This photo was taken October 19, 2007 and shows the yellow, green, pink and reds of autumn color. The yellow-golds show up best in sunlight. This particular Asahi zuru is about 5 feet tall, is in the ground, its leaf variegation progressed from April to about August, and it has pronounced pink striations on its bark, like Oridnono Nishiki. Very nice cultivar.

Attached Files:

8. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

These photos were taken of my Asahi Zuru on 5/9/06 and 10/20/07. This cultivar displays wonderful variegation in late spring and just plain fabulous fall color. This particular tree is now about 6-1/2' tall and resides in filtered light with limited late afternoon sun.

Attached Files:

9. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

"The rising sun maple", Vertrees, expect that's the translation. Tree gets about 6 hours mid day sun, haven't noticed any seed. H 8m.{25'} x W 5m.{15'} narrowly vase shaped in a crowded position, may have been more spreading in an open position. Photo leaves from below, July 15/08. Bark photos May 26/09.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 26, 2009
  10. STi

STi Active Member

Alittle guy.

Attached Files:

11. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Found this one looking beautiful yesterday.

Attached Files:

Acerholic, AlainK and Luke’s Maples like this.
  12. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Not spoken about too often D, as can be seen by the last posting in May 2010. But when you see your photo the question has to be asked, 'Why not'.

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  13. LoverOfMaples

Update: doing and growing well I think

Attached Files:

D97x7 and Acerholic like this.
  14. LoverOfMaples

I'm can happily say this cultivar is one of the best. I haven't notice any revision and it's a great grower.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  15. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Taken today 07557497-5979-4C5B-9656-264330BB6C05.jpeg

Attached Files:

maf, Acerholic and JT1 like this.