Acer palmatum 'Aocha nishiki' / 'Seicha'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by conifers, Sep 8, 2007.

1. conifers

conifers Active Member

I don't know which cultivar name is correct. The US National Arboretum, late May, 2006.

2. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

I have one of these - a small one, and I love it. It has a nice habit, and the color of the leaves, stems and trunk is a pleasing lime green. There is supposed to be some variegation in the leaves, but if there is its extremely subtle. It has that "glow" to it, though. Enjoy pics!

K4

Attached Files:

3. winterhaven

winterhaven Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Vertrees 3rd edition mentions that because Aocha Nishiki is not referenced in Japanese literature that it may be a corruption of the name Aoba nishiki. However I found an online a source that referenced Aoba nishiki (which is not in V3rd) as having red fall color rather than yellow.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  4. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Here are a few pics I posted on another thread of A.p. 'Aocha nishiki' fall colors. Very nice yellow-gold. This is a wonderful cultivar, with dependable habit and color. Not a fast grower, but seems sturdy. Enjoy.

Attached Files:

5. mimosa88

mimosa88 Member

The yellow of these leaves is awesome! I haven't seen cultivars labelled Aocha Nishiki or Seicha (or even Aoba Nishiki) here in NZ. Are there any other cultivars that have a fall yellow colour like this?

6. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years