Acer palmatum 'Amagi shuri'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by amazingmaples, Mar 31, 2012.

1. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

I am not sure of the difference of this tree than other himes. I saw a little difference last year but not much.

Attached Files:

2. Mapleman

Mapleman Member Maple Society

Re: Ap 'Amagi shuri'

Just curious. Where did you get this cultivar. I am trying to determine if this should be the correct name of the cultivar listed in Vertrees book as 'Amagi shigure'. I have heard that they are possibly one and the same but have never seen 'Amagi shuri'

3. amazingmaples

Re: Ap 'Amagi shuri'

Mapleman

It is Amagi shuri not Amagi shigure. I bought the tree from Buchholz. As mentioned it looks just like other himes.

4. Mapleman

I have 2 plants named 'Amagi shigure'. One is reticulated and looks like 'Purple Ghost' the other is a Hime type that looks just like your 'Amagi shuri' Talon Buchholz mentions that he thought that the 2 plants might be the same but I can find no documentation for that. Wish I could find the lineage of his 'Amagi shuri'. Thanks for your response.

5. amazingmaples

I don't know much, I looked back at my order and I see i bought an Ap 'Amagi shuri' two years ago from Buchholz. The tree has not description. As far as I see it does not have much going for me to buy it again. It just seemed like another hime. As the tree goes a ladder fell on it a few weeks back so it looks a bit sad on one side so I dumped it off cheap to someone who needed a tree like it with a flat side so now the tree is gone.

6. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Interesting to note that in the second edition (1987) of Vertrees the plant described in later editions as 'Amagi shigure' was at that time spelled 'Amagi shiguri'.

7. amazingmaples

My feeling on the tree I owned was it was too close to this or that and is not really worth a place in a book. It is by far no Amagi shigure (japanese version).

8. Mapleman

I agree it is just another hime type. Unfortunately I am plagued by the fact that I want to know. I can trace my 'Amagi shigure' back to Vertrees. I do not know where he got his. But the only mention I can find of Amgi shuri is Talon Buchholz. Wish I new where his plant came from. If we could determine that he is right. Then we could give the wonderful Japanese version the name "Amagi shigure and quit having to say "Japanese Version".

9. amazingmaples

We could say that the book had a typo and that hime called Amagi shigure was really suppose to be called Amagi shuri. I have called it the wrong name several times to people as we have walked through the garden.
    If this is the plant mentioned then it is a duplicate in shape color and name. It would not be the first tree to do this.

10. Mapleman

I agree that this is probably correct and that would be an easy solution. As maf pointed out, obviously something happened between the 2nd and 3rd edition of Japanese Maples to change the spelling there. Maybe that was a typo. Unfortunately there needs to be some older litterature showing Amgi shuri but not Amagi shigure or Amagi shiguri to correct the problem.