Acer palmatum 'Aeken Ie's'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Elmore, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

Re: Acer palmatum 'Aekan ie's'

Nothing happening on AI here either. But 'Beni otake' and 'Villa taranto' responded to few shots of Superthrive as did quite a few other non-linearilobum

2. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

Re: Acer palmatum 'Aekan Ie's'

Looks like a very interesting tree! I have been looking for the "best" red linearilobum (and I know that this is controversial) but I like this one better than most, right now. The only one that I would consider otherwise is Beni Ubi Gohan, but overall, this looks to be the winner.

Great pics! I am grateful, as always, for the wonderful information that everyone here provides.

David

3. pensylvaticum

pensylvaticum Active Member

Hello
    I am growing this cultivar of either spelling(which is illegitimate?). I was given Akane's Le, where it resides in south western PA, Zone 6-7 for two years. I would suggest it is not as good as Enkan for leaf or colour.The only slight differences are the wood of Akane is slightly darker.Leaves are not as deeply divided with the plant I have about two thirds of leaf base nor lobes as thin as Enkan. Does hold colour but is not as brilliant red as Enkan.Colour unfolds dark red becoming deeper dark red, slightly darker than Enkan but a flat colour,which hold for summer and continues into autumn when it becomes slightly crimson.Not particularly noticable-No real autumn colour to dazle.Pretty but not spectacular.
    Plant is in part shade on a hillside and it seems content. I think partshade is ideal and leaves will burn in full sun but not as badly as expected, but enough to say part sun is it's best suit.
    P

4. Poetry to Burn

Pensyl,

The habit of AI seems distinctive. The branching pattern and node spacing give this plant an unusual and uncommon air. Do you find 'Enkan' similar in this regard? Could you post a photo?

5. pensylvaticum

pensylvaticum Active Member

Hello Poetry,
    I will have no problem in your request, but only ask you are patient. It is not at my home but at my hidden garden, so I can not get there daily,unless I feel it necessary, with fuel, etc.. As far as the branch pattern and bud, it is not really that different, however yes it is distinct, but as I said before.I will send you an email if I can, no promises mind it would be great but I sometimes get sidetracked, or you will see the notification.
    Best wishes,
    P

6. Poetry to Burn

Take your time. A photo from a hidden garden is worth waiting for.

Appreciate reply.

7. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

Re: Acer palmatum 'Aeken les'

I really have come to love this cultivar. I really don't know why, but it just looks more "individual" than the other red linearilobums. I'll be getting this one next spring; no more this year! LOL

David

8. Poetry to Burn

An extremely beautiful cultivar in my opinion. Photo today, potted plant about 5 yrs old in a mostly shaded location.

Attached Files:

9. mattlwfowler

mattlwfowler Active Member Maple Society

I have difficulty distinguishing this one from pung kil, perhaps time will separate them in my collection.

10. Poetry to Burn

Matt,

I have heard that they are close/synonomous. I don't grow 'Pung kil'.

With 'Aeken les' though the odd, often split center lobe and the airy spacing of the nodes seem distinctive to me also the dark stems are not very common.

Elmore are you still reading? A few current shots of your tree would be a treat.

11. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

I just saw on the Topiary Gardens website yesterday the 'Pung Kil' cultivar--I had never even heard about it beforehand! It must be new. But I'm going to order an 'Aekan Ie's' from there very soon, so then I'll actually be able to observe/enjoy this maple. I think that I'm going to love it!

David

12. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

Just FYI, take a look at Gomero's post of 'Pung Kill' on the UBC site.

13. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

Looked at the Pung Kil pictures and it does indeed look similar to 'Aekan Ie's' and other newer red strapleafs. But for some reason, I like 'Aekan Ie's' more....there's just something about it, I guess!

14. katsura

katsura Active Member 10 Years

Aekan Ie's has a thinner, finer strap- leaf than Pung Kil and Aekan's leaves are incised much more
    deeply. My Aekan is in sun til 1PM and is very red whereas my Pung Kil also in sun is more green
    than Aekan. Also the new leaves of Pung Kil are quite red, but the true beauty of Pung Kil is its
    early Spring leafing out when it is red and very strap-leafed. I like both cultivars and have much
    more history with Aekan. Both are rewarding linearlobums.

15. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

My Aekan Ie's is unlike anything else in my garden. The central lobe pictured here is 6" in length, and the red central vein is a compelling feature. I am not at all familiar with Pung Kill, though it is posted on the UBC site and I've read Gomero's notes on it. But in my garden of 450 JMs, Aekan Ie's has no competitor. It's a very nice cultivar.

Attached Files:

16. Poetry to Burn

I had a chance to take a close look at 'Pung kil' this past weekend at Ed's Maple Viewing.

In comparison to the 'Aeken Ie's' that i grow i observed several differences: leaf shape,color and red vein (as katsure and mapledia mention), Ed's 'Pung kil' is more upright and the nodes are tighter, its leaves were uniform whereas AI produces linear,palmate leaves and intermediate leaves.

I did take a photo but a massive, similarly colored dissectum is behind 'Pung kil' and the photo is tedious to view.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 21, 2009
  17. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Gil,

I'll try to take a picture of my Pung kil for you. It is definitely different from Aekan Ies, especially in the uniformity of leaf shape/size.

By the way, the World Checklist says Aekan Ies and Enkan are the same cultivar. Anyone know if this is truly the case?

Thanks!

18. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

I like the looks of all of these red strapleafs...but I'm still going to get the 'Aekan Ie's' soon! I have that one saved for me, so....

David

19. mattlwfowler

My pung kil doesn't look much like that, but it is still young and might not be showing it's true leaf shape yet. Or, perhaps it is a mislabeled AI. So far I haven't noticed a distinguishing trait between the two of my trees since leaf out this spring. I can tell red pygmy from red cloud better than I can my AI and mystery pung kil.

20. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

This photo was taken of my Aeken Ie's on May 14, 2009. I especially like the red central vein color on this photo.

Attached Files:

21. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

This is my Aekan Ie's on May 8. I continue to be impressed with this cultivar. I've never seen a 'Pung Kill' in person and so cannot compare these plants. My Aekan is currently going into its dark purple summer phase, one I especially love to photograph.
    mapledia View attachment 81778

Attached Files:

22. eq72521

eq72521 Active Member

I have a Kung Pil, it is a larger growing plant than Aekan Ie's by a lot, but less graceful looking than a Atrolinear, and less interesting and compact than a AI's.

23. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

New arrival from Diana at Topiary Gardens - I love the shape of this tree already, and can't wait for it to leaf out! I also like the fact that the growth habit is supposed to me horizontal than vertical.

There is not a lot of information on this cultivar out there - and what I can find, most places indicate it is the same as Enkan, which I have been told it's not. Can anyone chime in on this and help clear the air? Also, I am curious as to what the name translates to.

Since this cultivar originated in the south, I am guessing it can take a fair bit of sun and heat? Being that it's still relatively small, I'll shelter it a bit this year, possibly next, but could it conceivably tolerate full sun all day?

Attached Files:

24. mattlwfowler

I might be able to help out a little bit.

In my case, my Aekan ies and my Enkan are very similar, and I have a difficult time telling them apart at times.

Aekan ies seems to be consistently thin lobed no matter what I do to it. However, Enkan will occasionally throw out a wider lobed leaf on vigorous growth (although I've been unable to reproduce the wide lobes that I've seen from other people's trees on this forum).

Coloration is certainly similar (maybe Aekan is a bit darker, but lighting has a lot to do with it so it is hard for me to tell). They do separate themselves a little in shading later in the season. I'd be hesitant to say that either one holds its color better than the other, but I'd give the nod to Aekan ies if I had to. Having said that, Enkan shows up better due to the bolder leaves so it is my preference.

Enkan is faster growing and more upright in habit (although both can have droopy branches).

Both hold up surprisingly well in heavy sunlight here in SC. The lobe tips scorch and shrivel up a bit, but they hold up better than most dissectums.

25. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

Thanks Matt!! I can already tell this one's going to be a favorite, the leaves are very unique thus far...

Attached Files: