Acer macrophyllum

Discussion in 'Maple Photo Gallery' started by Laurie, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Laurie

Laurie Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Acer macrophyllum - Washington Park Arboretum, Seattle, and native woods.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2005
  2. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

In a farmer's field, showing growth habit in fairly open conditions. Breaking older limbs drop at times during high winds, or often the limb hangs up in the tree and falls later. Best grown well distanced from buildings and electrical wires. Falling seeds can plug rain gutters. Locally recommended as a replacement tree for city lots , don't know why. H 75'-80' x W 60' {H 25m. x W 20m.}. Pic 1 taken Oct 13/07. Pics 2 - Oct.24/07, tree in seed and another maple showing where a large branch broke off. Pic 3 bark.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  3. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

oh very big leaves similar to Platanus for autum coulor too....

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

You can't really tell from the photo, but this leaf from an Acer macrophyllum at the UBC Botanical Garden David C Lam Garden was about 23 inches in diameter (58cm). I saw it on the Greenheart Canopy Walkway today. Not all the leaves on that tree were that size by any means, but there were several large ones. That was just one I could touch and do a hand measurement on.

By the way, the common name for these is generally bigleaf maple, but the Trees of Reed (Reed College in Portland, Oregon) gives as another common name Oregon Maple.

Attached Files:

5. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Generally most maples, Japanese included, seem to be colouring up about 7- 10 days ,and you could say peaking, later than last year here with brilliant fall colours. Photos Oct.26/08.

Attached Files:

6. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Same here. We normally will be done and the leaves off the trees by Halloween. This year it looks like we'll be peaking at Halloween.

7. wcutler

I had just yesterday afternoon spent some time wondering how many trees I was looking at here in Stanley Park above Ceperley playground, and then last night at the guided tree walk, I learned about coppicing (where new shoots emerge around a tree that's been cut down), and that maple coppices are quite common. The example on the walk was a big-leaf maple, and so is this one.

Attached Files:

8. wcutler

It's not as if this Stanley Park Acer macrophyllum didn't have enough room to develop a nice full shape, but it seems to have decided against it.

Attached Files:

9. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Looks like it was probably shaded by some other trees to one side, which were subsequently removed. Also looks like it's had some branches broken and/or pruned off in the past.

10. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Pruning cuts visible in photo. Also, species often rots out with age yet continues growing, with vigorous new growth in some parts and dead stubs in others. I've seen it rooting into its own dead and decayed heartwood.

During recent weeks multiple local examples are displaying a severe blighting back of branches, marked by yellow and then brown leaves. Other patches are showing much mildewing of the leaves.

11. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I don't know maples well enough to suggest that Acer macrophyllum may be the most floriferous but it surely must be a contender. The chartreuse-yellow of the flowers is stunning especially when you see trees in the distance spotted throughout Douglas Fir woods - and especially on a sunny day.

It looks to me like this grouping of Big Leaf Maples in bloom may originate from an older tree that was cut down. It's hard to find a BLM all on its own that you can photograph in its entirety. However, if you happen to live on Vancouver Island, there are 2 magnificent Big Leaf Maples behind the Fanny Bay Inn.

[​IMG] Acer macrophyllum 04-2022.JPG

Close-up photo of flowers is from Acer macrophyllum | Landscape Plants | Oregon State University .

AlainK and Acerholic like this.
  12. wcutler

This is a street tree, not a wild tree. Does it count? Photos are from 2013.
    20130423_7thTolmie_AcerMacrophyllum_Cutler_P1420893.JPG 20130423_7thTolmie_AcerMacrophyllum_Cutler_P1420894.JPG 20130423_7thTolmie_AcerMacrophyllum_Cutler_P1420898.JPG

AlainK likes this.
  13. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Beauty! I don't know how long-lived BLM are considered to be. Someone nearby told me that an old tree with a trunk 5-feet across, died after many years gracing their gorgeous garden.

14. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

BLM can live for a few hundred years. But it does depend on environmental positioning. Looking at that quiet leafy lane Margot, it's going to be there for a very long time. Love those yellows and the Autumn it gets better.

15. Soumil Yarlagadda

Soumil Yarlagadda Well-Known Member Maple Society

Closeup of leaves and seeds in Lyon, France

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.