Abbotsford BC Palm pics

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by abbotsfordpalmman, May 14, 2007.

1. abbotsfordpalmman

abbotsfordpalmman Active Member

here are some of my personal palm trees in my yard. A few years ago i bought two windmill palms from a nursery joe told me about in langley BC, now im hooked! I have several small windmill palms, one medium sized windmill with the top of the fronds reaching about 5 feet and a beautiful mediterranean fan palm. I've heard of mexican fan palms surviving in vancouver, im wondering if i could pull one off in the abbotsford area with some care ? any ideas of any other varieties to try ?

Attached Files:

2. 10°Palms

10°Palms Member

Hey,

I am in Abbotsford also. I got into palms about a year ago and I am also very hooked! I also really enjoy Musa Basjoo, Bamboo, Canna and Palms.

I myself have 6 Trachy Fortunei in the ground. 3 others in pots.
    Butia X Jubaea in pots (Grown from seed)
    Jubaea X Butia in pots (Grown from seed)
    Washingtonia Robusta (From Seeds, Germinated very fast and starting to push second leaves only about 3 months).
    Washingtonia Filifera (From Seeds)
    Trachycarpus Wagnerianus (Seedling from seed, Just pushing first leaf)
    Trachycarpus Latisectus (Seedling from seed, pushing second leaf now)
    I have acouple Sago Palms (Cycas Revoluta) (Grown from seed, planted about 1 year ago and they just started to push there leaves now. Thought they weren't going to make it.

Have you seen the 5-7 Sago's at the median in front of the Keg?

what else oh I have a 1 Gallon Butia Capitata and just found one germinated that I through in with my bxj and jxb bins. I got the 1 galon from Tropic to Tropic Plants in South Delta. If you ever have a reason to go there Ray Mattei has a fantastic display of Bamboo! 3-4" Culms.

I went pretty crazy buying seeds when i first got into it... it wasn't a complete waste because i got quite a variety. I know most of them won't survive here but i will do my best to see what i can get away with.

anyways nice to see someone else who is interested, my wife thinks i am nuts.

-10°palms

3. jemeric

jemeric Member

Ha, be careful with what you're getting into. I started with a T. Fortunei. Then went seeds when I couldn't find any other palm species. Now I've got palms coming out my ears haha. I think this covers all of them, although I may have forgot a few and I've got quite a few seeds left that haven't germinated yet

Jubaea x Butia
    Butia X Jubaea
    Arenga micrantha
    Brahea armata
    Butia capitata var. capitata
    Butia capitata var. odorata
    Butia eriospatha
    Butia yatay
    Chamaerops humilis var. cerifera
    Jubaea chilensis
    Livistona chinensis
    Livistona decipiens
    Livistona nitida
    Nannorrhops ritchiana
    Nannorrhops ritchiana (Kashmir)
    Parajubaea sunkha
    Parajubaea torallyi var. torallyi
    Phoenix theophrastii
    Sabal mexicana
    Sabal minor
    Sabal minor var. louisiana
    Sabal palmetto
    Sabal uresana
    Serenoa repens
    Syagrus romanzoffiana (Litoralis)
    Trachycarpus geminisectus
    Trachycarpus latisectus (Sikkim)
    Trachycarpus martianus (Nepal Form)
    Trachycarpus nanus
    Trachycarpus oreophilus
    Trachycarpus princeps
    Trachycarpus sp. (Naga Hills)
    Trachycarpus takil
    Trachycarpus wagnerianus
    Trithrinax campestris

Cycas panzhihuaensis
    Cycas petraea

Attached Files:

4. 10°Palms

10°Palms Member

:) I feel infected :).. Looking at your pictures I see that your pots are on lids on your nice carpet :)... we have a basement that isn't used for anything, as of a few weeks ago I had dirt, buckets dead leaves all over the carpet :)... good thing my wife doesn't go down there :). I have since cleaned it but the sight of yours is very familiar. it is a good thing most palms take a while to grow. I would grow more types however the temperature and weather in abbotsford is a bit different then on the island.

Anyways nice pictures.

-10°Palms

5. jemeric

jemeric Member

Yep, it really becomes an addiction. Ha, and that's not the worst of it, you should have seen it in the winter. This place was full of them after all the cold weather we had. Fortunately I was able to keep some at my parents house in a garage for most of the winter. I moved in here in December, and these palms have seen a lot of abuse; moving from outside to a garage then to an unheated garage at another house during the november and january cold snaps; most of them received no water from November until March, and finally after spending the winter in the dark garage I pushed them out into full sunlight and frosted weather at which point a lot of the leafs were burn and I lost about 20. Most seem to have recovered now and are putting out new growth, but it just goes to show you how tough these plants are. I wish I had a basement, but I'm living in an apartment now, but on the plus side they can get midday sun in that location and the heat in here allows them to grow much faster than those outside. I guess abbotsford gets quite a bit colder than victoria in the winter, but there are a few on my list that might do well there... plus most palms love heat and you get more of that than most island locations!

6. PenderPalms

PenderPalms Member

Hi Jemeric
    Are you interested in selling any of your palm seedlings?
    Send me a PM if you are

7. Canadianplant

Canadianplant Active Member

hey jemeric... all of thoughs palms arent going outside in the ground are they?

8. jemeric

jemeric Member

Most of these palms will likely find their way into the ground, the winters here are pretty mild. I will have to sell any sensitive species that outgrow their containers too quickly as I don't have sufficient space or resources to protect large palms in the winter. For now I will keep them on my deck through the winter and move them indoors for the worst of our cold snaps.

9. abbotsfordpalmman

wow i am soo excited to finally here of more people in abbotsford growing palms! I have seen some pretty nasty looking ones around town after last winter but man you should stop by earls infront of seven oaks. they have some pretty beautiful windmill palms growing there. and no i have not noticed in front of the kegg but im def. going to drive by that way tomorrow and check it out! if you guys have any more pics of your palms i would love to see them!!

10. abbotsfordpalmman

oh... one more thing i would like to add. since taking those pics ... each of the palms has put out at least two more fronds, the med. fan palm changes by the day it seems.

11. Evan

Evan New Member

Chilean Wine Palm, Pine-leaf. Looks a bit like the Canary Date that doesn't fare so well in our climate.

Slow growing at first but grows really tall eventually
    Thinking of getting one myself and make the windmill owners jealous haha

Babies (2-4 years old)

2015-04-06 15.36.55.jpg
    Medium (like 20yrs old)
    11__MG_1265.jpg
    Old timers (Even older than me)
    400px-L_jubaeachile.jpg