Abandoned Orchid Saved...But what is it?

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by RPBnimrod, Jun 4, 2009.

1. RPBnimrod

RPBnimrod Active Member

Hi all! I haven't posted in a while, but I need an answer to this question. This morning I was running to school (late, of course :P) and saw a perfectly pretty orchid just sitting in-front of the garbage. I, as a biology enthusiast, decided that I couldn't just let this beauty get crushed by the garbage trucks, so I took it into my home and have left it in my bathroom all day. What species is it? More importantly (at the moment, at-least), how should I take care of it? could I leave it in the country? does it have a disease? and why would anyone throw such a good-looking orchid away? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Looks like a Phalaenopsis.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  3. James D.

James D. Active Member

It looks pretty good to me, I would cut of the flower stalk since the blooms are almost finished and you want the energy going to the leaves to keep it alive. It is a Phaleanopsis orchid (Moth orchid). There is an orchis forum on here that will give you very good advice, Not sure what you mean by keeping it in the country. it doesn't look diseased to me and a lot of people treat these as temporary flowering plants now that they have become popular. Hope this helps you out a bit.

4. RPBnimrod

RPBnimrod Active Member

Thanks for the info! What I meant by asking if I could keep it in the country was if I could plant it into my backyard on long Island. I don't want it to die of disease, pests, or frost. also, how much should I water it?

5. James D.

James D. Active Member

It will have to remain in your house in the winter, otherwise it will die.

6. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

As to why folks throw away perfectly good plants...alas, I do not know the answer. Fortunately for this phal, you were there to save it!

Agree with the above---it looks good. Could stand a nice repotting, though. You could set it outside in a pleasant, not-in-direct-sun location over the summer, but I would definitely leave it in its pot so that it can be brought in at the first hint of fall. I leave mine indoors in the summer. Also, if you put it outside you've gotta watch for insect and rodent pests chomping on it (slugs and snails too!)..I'd find a spot inside where it's happy and leave it.

Repot in orchid bark. I give mine a spray-down once a week or so, and mist daily. Brightish indirect light---on the cool side OK. Never let it get waterlogged or soggy! Good air circulation is important too.

7. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

I can't believe someone threw that beautiful orchid out! Nice find!

8. RPBnimrod

RPBnimrod Active Member

I think that I'm going to keep it inside to house. I'm not in the country (where my backyard is) for enough time to tend to it. I would like to repot it, but I don't know how to safely do so. Can anyone tell me how? I've had a few successful repottings of plants, but a lot more failures. Could someone tell me how to repot an orchid of this species? Thanks! And also, thanks everyone for the help and support!

9. canadiyank

canadiyank Active Member

They sell special orchid potting bark to repot it in. It doesn't necessarily need a bigger pot, just freshen up the potting medium. You don't plant them in the ground or in dirt, they grow naturally in trees and actually their roots can photosynthesize, too!

10. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

nimrod, might be good to keep a close eye out for bugs, just in case that was the reason it was thrown out.

11. RPBnimrod

RPBnimrod Active Member

I found one mite/small white insect on it and removed it, however, after a rather intense search of the plant, I couldn't find any more of them. Something I'm afraid about however, is that the leaves are starting to wrinkle and bend, as well as one of the air roots has broken. I don't know why. I've posted some pictures here:

Attached Files: