A type of anthurium?

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by funnyfarmherbs, Oct 24, 2007.

1. funnyfarmherbs

funnyfarmherbs Member

Hello, Thanks for showing me this link Steve, Been to your website and I will be a future customer Brian. Does anyone know if this an anthurium species or hybrid and does it have a name. Thanks Bruce

Attached Files:

2. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Likely a hybrid form of Anthurium andreanum. The breeders in Hawaii grow many hybrids using this species. There is also now a very large business in India growing the spathes (the inflorescence) for the florist trade. I read a few weeks ago where a bride in Indonesia ordered 50,000 of them for her wedding! Must have been some wedding! LariAnn knows much more about hybrids than do I. She may have more information or a differing opinion.

Hope my website was useful. And glad to have you aboard here!

3. LariAnn

LariAnn Active Member

This is most certainly a hybrid form of Anthurium andreanum. In fact, I have serious doubts as to whether the species is available on the market any more, except in a few collections.

4. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

This "style", for want of a better word, of Anthurium is the most popular sold over here in Australia and also the "flower" is also quite popular for arrangements. I'm unsure of the exact species. Birds nest Anthuriums are slowly becoming available in select nurseries, not the mainstream ones though.

5. photopro

We've all seen a big jump in the sale of birds nest forms. Last night Enid at Natural Selections Exotics had one sell on eBay for $3,150! I've got a feeling she is a happy camper today!

6. edleigh7

Do I win a prize if I can guess which country bought it????

7. photopro

Chances are high you'd get it right! I should have told Enid to go buy some lottery tickets! What a good day!

8. edleigh7

Good on you Enid. Might us well take advantage while the going is hot and it doesn't seem like it is going to cool down anytime soon!

Ed

9. BigBill

BigBill Member

The name of that anthurium is Tropic Fire. It was developed in Hawaii and I grew it for a few years. It was discontinued by the lab producing it. The only problem it had was a weak root system. Good luck with it.