A troublesome Jade Plant

Discussion in 'Caudiciforms and Pachycaul Trees' started by pleadian, Jan 2, 2010.

1. pleadian

pleadian Member

plant3.jpg

plant4.jpg

This is a cutting from what my mom called a "Jade" Plant or money tree.

Strangely, it has done absolutely nothing since we planted it. We water it, we don't water it, we put it in sun and we put it in shade, not a thing happens!

Help...

2. skunkyjoe

skunkyjoe Active Member

Its a Dwarf Elepahnt Bush ( Portulacaria Afra ) . Not a Jade . I would be patient . Put it outside in the sun ( since you are in New Zealand ) . Maybe its only putting out roots >? It looks overpotted .

3. jreidsma

jreidsma Active Member

It being a cutting it could be 10+ months until it actually does anything. I have some cuttings from african violets and they take that long until you actually notice anything. I would just wait and watch.

4. pleadian

pleadian Member

Thank you for this information.

I guess I'll just wait and see...

5. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

These plants do best in full-sun in a well drained medium, and are said to be easily propagated from cuttings in April/May.

In the hotter months, they like lots of water but enjoy being allowed to dry out between waterings. They also like to be fertilized with a balanced formula once or twice during this time.

In the colder months, they should be watered only enough to keep the leaves from shrivelling.

When containerized, these plants stay much smaller as opposed to growing them in the earth. They make an excellent specimen for a bonsai plant as well.

Your pics look great, so I think you are off to a good start. Good luck...

: )

6. pleadian

pleadian Member

Thank you for this information.

Usually with me a plant will either do really well or crash instead of virtually remaining dormant for a long period so this happenings are strange for me.

Cheers,

p.s. Nice Budgie

7. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Here is something right out of left field... I am very familiar with Auckland, I lived in St Heliers... anyway, try planting this in the garden and let nature take its course... you live in a semi topical climate.... there is rarely if ever a freeze... this portulacea should proliferate in a sunny local in the garden,,, it looks terribly unhappy in its current state.....

8. pleadian

pleadian Member

Hi there,

Hmmm, yes it does look a bit unhappy. I do like it though, but I guess it's got to go in the garden.

Nice to hear from someone who is familiar with Auckland.

9. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Protect it initially from direct sun, then gradually allow full sun by the end of the third week, start with dappled sun rays, then early morning sun, you get the idea... or it will suffer from sunscald, and may perish...

I fondly miss the lamb, ice cream and cream puffs and the Coromandel Penninsula, Waitangi, Paihia, Hawks Bay, Milford Sound, Stewart Island... sounds like I better start planning a return visit...

10. pleadian

pleadian Member

Thanks Again,

I've got a group with some New Zealand stuff on it in a Social Network I belong to that you might like to have a look at maybe?

Cheers,

Murray