A stumper has been asked for . . .

Discussion in 'Plants and Biodiversity Stumpers' started by Michael F, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Callitris

Callitris is a genus of coniferous trees in the Cupressaceae (cypress family). There are 15 species in the genus, of which 13 are native to Australia and the other two (C. neocaledonica, C. sulcata) native to New Caledonia. The most widely used common name is cypress-pine, a name shared by the closely related genus Actinostrobus."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Callitris

OR I give up

Liz

2. TonyR

TonyR Active Member

I did suspect C. verrucosa as a possibility, but only a possibility as there are other spp. with warty cone-scales like that.

Liz, Callitris is in the cypress family, commonly known as "cypress-pines" here. They are common over much of inland Australia and some coastal areas too.

3. Liz

I am really sorry re link I can't find it again. It was a Blog with lots of great pics of cones, various pine type trees and some of the contributions refered to UBC including the winter garden. All I can remember is it had a soft green background and had entries from 2006.
    Liz

4. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Last edited: Jul 21, 2007
  5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

It would do, it's the same cone, in my cone collection . . . well spotted! ;-)

Although this particular cone is from Tasmania, the species is native in Victoria too.

It is a seed cone (female); the pollen cones are small, fragile ephemeral things only about 5mm long and 1-2mm wide.

6. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Yes, thought so, nice pics and collection.

7. Liz

I am too slap dash I was actualy on that site with the wood backing. Was looking at different cones. Ah well if nothing else I AM LEARNING. By the way my house has some walls in the cypress pine. Thanks for a great stumper. Makes me hone my searching skills

Liz