A plant I can't identify.

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Marc Pitman, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Marc Pitman

Marc Pitman Member

I have tried to identify the plant shown in the attached photo using several field guides but cannot find it in any of them. It typically grows in shady areas with moss here in Northwest Montana. What is it?

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hey, I love the Kalispell area.

This looks a lot to me like Sedum lanceolatum, commonly known as lanceleaf stonecrop or spear-leaved stonecrop.

Here's a few links for more info:

Sedum lanceolatum from the Cental Washington Native Plant Society

Sedum lanceolatum via the USDA Plants Database

My only concern with my idea is your mention that you've noticed it growing in shady areas, which seems a bit atypical from what I've read. I could be wrong on the species - check here and here for some alternatives. It's also possible that this is the subalpine subspecies of Sedum lanceolatum, but I've no books available to me at home to check the differences between the two.

3. Marc Pitman

Marc Pitman Member

Thanks for the help. I revisited the area where I had taken the photo and you are correct. The southern exposure is clear of trees where the plant is growing on an outcrop of rock. All the trees are to the north where they cannot provide shade over the plant. I'll watch the plant as it flowers and post a photo at that time. Thanks again.