A place to post and chat about plant pics...

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by The Hollyberry Lady, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Yes HBL,

Thats all very well but I remember how that aweful smilie period went.

Also the forums are being closely moderated for off topics.

Its all down to the first topic in the thread, we have to stick to that in future...smilies was not mentioned in the threads first post.

Just trying to help everyone keep inline and out of trouble.

Thanks Lorax,

Its only since being here I even heard anyone ate the flowers they grew...interesting!

I started some test seeds today in those pellet pots you have to wet then they magically grow before your eyes.

Cape Daisy, Plumera, Blackberry Lily.

2. vicarious1

vicarious1 Active Member 10 Years

Burnaby North on a slope facing south & a view :-)
    Waoouh. Nat
    Now you have me really excited. It's the "Orangery" revisited. How do you wanter these plants in the winter condition? Do they all keep their leaves.
    I am most amazed how the "YUKKAS" survive here outdoors in the snow in Vancouver .
    They are "THE" only think I can say that recall me my love and past in the Tropics.
    Would it be too much to ask a photo of what your Green house structure looks like ?
    Here anything in Glass is like 4-5000$ UP.
    I am trying to see how I could be getting by with a heavy Plastic structure only.
    Thanks Nat you are going to "cost me" in springtime when the Nursery will show
    the Tropicals again for sale :-).

3. Nath

Nath Active Member

Vic, I didnt use glass in my greenhouse but toughened perspex and polycarbonate for the roof, deos the same job as glass but deosnt get destroyed by strong winds we get living on top of a hill with a direct line of sight to the Urals I am told. I'll try and get some pics together of the Yukka and Citrus growing in the garden. I don't water in winter its not needed. Everything has its leaves too.

Nath

4. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

Looking forward to seeing your shots, Nath...

: )

5. Dana09

Dana09 Active Member

Vic,
    I once visited a man who was growing dahlias in one of those car cover things, stand alone with enough room for one car inside, maybe 300 second hand if you can find one.
    The dahlias of course require not as much sunlight and the cover on the thing was letting in the light but it was not clear, great for dahlias.
    You could also go to a wrecker-demolition, recycling seller of used house parts where windows ought to be quite cheap 5- 10 dollars each for wood framed sort. Sliding glass door panels are very large pieces of glass that I see one neighbourhood gardener has used to create a house in his yard.
    There's still time to look around before the season starts.

D

6. vicarious1

Nath, Well thank you so much. Will see what I can get.
    We are having 80km winds today here ... Crazy world.
    URALS in Russia ? Yr kidding right ?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  7. Nath

Nath Active Member

No from this high point in Nottingham its downhill all the way to the east with the flatlands of Lincolnshire and the mudflats of Norfolk out across that part of Europe, I find it hard to believe but a few people have mentioned that the winds come in directly from the Urals, including a Geologist I used to know. Probably explains a lot, I wouldnt mind some scientific proof though.

8. vicarious1

Last time I head about the URALS was from my grandfather decades ago talking about
    terrible war conditions there in the war I think WWI and II I suppose also..
    I must admit beside the BIG cities of GB I haven't been around the block highest up Edinburgh

9. The Hollyberry Lady

Just made this new plant last night, of cuttings from my baby burro's tail 'burrito' succulent plant.

The parent plant (seen in 2nd photo) is growing like crazy, so I thought this was a good time to make another plant in a little mini hanging basket (1st pic)...

Attached Files:

10. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Have you ever seen them flower HBL? Don't know what I saw on google, but it looked like the same plant - nice little flowers on the end of each... tail i guess you'd call it. ^_^

11. The Hollyberry Lady

No Zac, I have never seen it bloom!

: o

Now, you've got me curious...

I'll have to check that out. I know my 'string of beads' succulent produces little white flowers twice a year. Although not blooming currently, this is the one...

Attached Files:

12. The Hollyberry Lady

Here's some shots I took yesterday afternoon of some of my plants, but didn't have time to post until now...

1. New "Red Ruby" Swiss Chard seedling
    2. Martha Washington Pelargonium
    3. Succulent cutting sent to me by someone from UBC
    4. "String of Beads" cutting now rooted
    5 & 6. Bay Laurel tree

Attached Files:

13. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

I really like the third one Sherry.

14. The Hollyberry Lady

Thanks Pen! It's some kind of echeveria succulent plant.

15. Nath

Nath Active Member

I like that succulant HBL do you know its exact name so that I can have a hunt around for one?

16. The Hollyberry Lady

Sorry Nath - I rarely know the exact name when I receive cuttings. I guess people just don't anticipate that someone might like to know what they're growing!

: (

17. The Hollyberry Lady

Ok, here's some pics I took this afternoon of some more of my plants...

1. "Burro's Tail" succulent
    2. Hens and Chicks succulent
    3. "Berry Swirl" Martha Washington Pelargonium
    4. red Geranium brought in from summertime
    5. "String of Pearl" in pot with red Geranium
    6. Echeveria succulent cutting given to me

Does anyone know what the red/bronze plant is in pic # 7?

It was a seed that sprouted in the pot and now it's growing. Likely a weed seed although I kind of like the clover-like leaves. Just curious if anyone knew for sure...

Attached Files:

18. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

The NOID shamrock plant in #7 is an Oxalis of some description; likely it's one of the ones with purple flowers. They're weeds for me, but for Canadians they're normally houseplants.

19. The Hollyberry Lady

I thought you might know Beth - thanks. Knew it was a clover.

I like the reddish color of it. The seed (wherever it came from) germinated in a very cool sun porch, and is continuinig to grow nicely. I am looking forward to watching it further...

P.S. Here's Henry today...

Attached Files:

20. lorax

Ah, but it's not a clover. It's more closely related to things that are humanly edible! If it flowers white, it's Oxalis regnelii cv. 'Atropurpureum' and if it flowers purple, it's more likely O. triangularis. Most houseplant Oxalis are green-leafed with yellow or white flowers.

My particular fave, though, is the eeny-weeny little green ones with yellow flowers that grow out of walls here in the highlands. They're incredibly cute, and also incredibly destructive - in 5 years, the roots have degraded red-clay bricks to the point where they just fall out of the wall.

21. The Hollyberry Lady

Wow - that one sounds serious!

I love it that it looks so cute like a clover, but thanks for the information, Beth. So great to know what it is. The reddish color is what I really like about it as well.

That one that grows out of the walls there, although destructive, sounds kind of nice. I would like something like that in pots, trailing down.

22. lorax

Except it doesn't really trail. It stays sort of bushy and grows sideways out in little poomfs. Next time I see some, I'll take a picture - I am generally completely ruthless with it in my own living spaces, so I don't have any around the house to photograph.

23. The Hollyberry Lady

The reddish shamrock plant you identified kind of looks like a dainty little plant, and I hope it might produce some flowers for me soon. It's too adorable. What a pleasant surprise discovering it in one of my pots.

Interesting fact...

Shamrock is derived from the Celtic word for clover, which also has three leaflets. Legend says that St. Patrick used the shamrock to illustrate the principle of the trinity to the people he converted.

Neat, huh?

24. lorax

Yup, and once again it illustrates the complete uselessness of common names. Oxalis are almost always sold as "Shamrock Plant" despite their complete lack of connection to Clovers.

If you give your Oxalis its own pot, it will be quite fruitful and multiply itself readily. It'll likely also get bigger leafwise - they start itsy bitsy but can produce leaf triplets as big around as a loonie.

25. The Hollyberry Lady

That's all you had to say Beth...I'm going downstairs to get it now!!!...