A place to post and chat about plant pics...

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by The Hollyberry Lady, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Joey D

Joey D Active Member

Yeah I know! A friend came over and did not know what an aphid looks like. I tried to show him one, but where there were previously hundreds, there wasn't one left! I guess he can look them up online :)

2. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

I sure know what aphids look like - yuck! I use a spray of hard water to shower my plants weekly, which helps me keep full control of bugs. It works for mites too.

Ok, although these are bad shots, but here is my very first gardens from over 6 years ago, now. This is where my obsession began...

: O

I need to get the negatives developed so you can see the best shots (they were given to my grandmother), but these were the crappy peeks that were left. I will get the negatives developed soon. For now though, just so you can get an idea, here are my 1st gardens.

Nearly everything was grown from seed...

Attached Files:

3. Joey D

Joey D Active Member

It looks like we both caught the plant bug hard right away Sherry, I think I am coming up on my first birthday (gardener's age) sometime this month probably and I already have so many plants!

4. The Hollyberry Lady

To think it was nearly 6 years ago!

Plant bug?! I was accused of being downright obsessed!!! I am a diehard plant fanatic - so deal with it. If ya don't like my plants, you don't like me. That was my response to these plant haters! Most people though, totally appreciate my love of plants and see it as a good thing.

: )

5. Joey D

Joey D Active Member

Yes, I have similar experiences. I'll get responses that range from disinterested or apathetic, to overjoyed, really impressed, admiring, et c. :)

I have one friend that has taken up gardening with even more vigor than I have! He's giving away plants for all gift occasions and since he's living w/ his family, he has a lot of yard to work with. It's really great seeing him embark upon this journey! :D

I've never gotten negative responses to my gardening though! Who doesn't want a bit more oxygen in their air?!

6. Nath

Nath Active Member

S8003136.jpg Here are some of my Lillies from this morning 6.30 AM
    [/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Attached Files:

7. Nath

Nath Active Member

These are the ones I didnt have time to post before I left for work this morning.[/ATTACH][/ATTACH] S8003145.jpg S8003146.jpg S8003147.jpg

Attached Files:

8. The Hollyberry Lady

So pretty, Nath! Thanks for sharing.

Here's my 'Lollipop' lilies...

Attached Files:

• 132.jpg
      132.jpg
      File size:
      146.4 KB
      Views:
    • 138.jpg
      138.jpg
      File size:
      171.1 KB
      Views:
  9. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Wow, everyone has some great looking flowers! I'll post some images later today of the flower bed I'm building around the mailbox. The sun needs to get out because the silly camera wont show an image without sun or flash. :\

Hey, maybe the lawn will be mowed by then if I can get my butt off the chair. :D

Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  10. The Hollyberry Lady

I hear ya, ShearMe - I still have more plants to transplant outside today. It's cool, overcast, and rainy here - perfect!

11. Nath

Nath Active Member

lovely Lillies Hollyberry, I have some similar ones, I am just waiting for them to come out.

I'll let you know when they do.

Shearme we have had monsoons today and the lawn has taken off with the combination of heat and humidity, but tomorrow is supposed to be hot and dry, so I'm putting the lawns off till tomorrow. Really looking foward to it too!! Not.... still I have a load of Holly Hocks and Lupins to transplant, and the beds need weeding. Theres always plenty to do when its growing season, I find a good red Wine helps make the more mundane jobs tick along a bit easier.

Nath

12. The Hollyberry Lady

I used to drink a bit of wine while gardening - until I tipped over in the garden!

Now, I just settle for some tunes in my ears from my CD man.

Thanks for the compliments about my lilies - yours are so nice too. Can't wait to see more pics soon...

13. The Hollyberry Lady

Well, I just got back in from outside - planted tons of mixed swiss chard varieties! Not only is swiss chard edible, it is extremely ornamental as well. I wanted something colorful in between my lily plants when the flowers are gone and all that's left are the leaves and my banana plant. I love growing swiss chard, and jumped at the chance to sow the many wonderful varieties I have collected through my trades.

Also too, I am real excited because I broke down and ordered myself a couple of 6 month old Lycium Barbarum or 'Goji Berry' plants! Someone sent me seeds from this forum but she wasn't sure if they were the true, authentic 'goji' or not.

Wolfberry, although very similar and related to goji, is not quite as nutrient rich, nor flavorful, so I wanted to be sure I had the real thing. I bought some seeds with the order also, so I can start more plants.

This berry is said to be the most nutrient rich food on the entire planet! Although the shrubs take 2-3 years to produce, they will be well worth the wait. I am thrilled to have the real thing. I'll take pics when the little shrubs arrive...

14. Nath

Nath Active Member

did you say a little wine?

15. The Hollyberry Lady

Me? Yes, earlier I mentioned wine, because you did. Why?

16. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Ok, so my 2nd rose bud bloomed today! It's a white base that ever so gently blends into a shade of pink. The 2nd picture does not focus on the rose, but it is an aerial shot used only to show you how it hangs.

The third photo is of the first set of plants going into my planter I'm building around my mailbox. Any advice as to how to prevent the wood post from rotting? I might just take the post out and bolt the mailbox to one of the stone blocks, but all options are possible. I will be adding a second layer, maybe a third, and a layer of capping stone which is not stained like those bigger blocks.

Oh, and just so you know, those blocks are hand chiseled out of 75 pound stones (add the big block in front to the big high piece in the back) without gloves. It gained me 4 blisters plus an extra soft spot or two and a sore back. Hard work feels good. :D

I despise gloves. >:|

Attached Files:

17. Nath

Nath Active Member

Hollyberry, I meant it must have been more than a little wine to get you falling over Surely! Ha Ha!!

Nicework ShearMe to stop the post rotting at the bottom you need to treet the wood and you can always wrap some thick plastic such as the bags that compost comes in and they will protect it. Like the rose, what variety is it?

Nath

18. The Hollyberry Lady

Oh! Too funny, Nath! Yes, I think it was more like half a bottle by the time I realized! Hahahaha - thanks for the laugh.

Yes, ShearMe, that rose is gorgeous. I love the color - reminds me of a peace rose. So pretty. I hope they bloom tons more for you, as the season wears on. Do you fertilize them with rose food?

Good luck with all your projects.

19. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Well I don't know the rose's variety, sadly. We have 4 plants and the only tag I've seen was "Garden Party" but I don't know which plant it was on. I did buy rose food, and I sprinkled some on last month, and will do the same this month. Here's another pic of it open. :)

Attached Files:

20. The Hollyberry Lady

Oh wonderful - anything that's fed will definitely bloom more. Thanks for posting the great shot.

21. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Oops, I edited after you posted... :F

22. The Hollyberry Lady

Nice shot - that is just stunning! Love it.

23. The Hollyberry Lady

Look what just opened for me this morning - my 'Jaqueline' lilies...

Attached Files:

24. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

I wish I could grow lilies....

25. The Hollyberry Lady

Why can't you? They're too easy!