A natural hybrid, found once.

Discussion in 'Plants and Biodiversity Stumpers' started by Joe Keller, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Joe Keller

Joe Keller Active Member 10 Years

A natural hybrid, found once.

Attached Files:

2. Puddleton

Puddleton Active Member 10 Years

I'm thinking peperomia sp. The red axillary bud has got me though. Can u provide a little more of the plant

3. Joe Keller

Here are two hints, very hardy and deciduous, Joe

4. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Joe--I keep looking at this one, but need another hint...I think I may kick myself as it looks reminiscent of things, but!

Is it herbaceous or woody? Continent of origin would be huge...

Glen

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I've expected it to be a willow (Salix) from the start, hardy and deciduous would fit that, but I don't know this one in particular.

6. Puddleton

Puddleton Active Member 10 Years

Salix nigrescens perhaps

7. Joe Keller

Hi, I've been away for a couple of days and I have just returned. While I was away, I purchased a cousin of this stumper, a Salix fargesii which grows much larger and is also deciduous. I don't think that it will fit in a trough or alpine garden with our little friend however...........Joe

8. Joe Keller

Has everyone given up on this one? Joe

9. Joe Keller

Hearing no further replies....it is Salix boydii. It was originally discovered in the mountains of Scotland by William Boyd, a farmer and botanist. It has never been found since. All existing plants are derived from this one collection. For years it has been the subject of much discussion and is generally thought to be a hybrid of Salix reticulata and Salix lapponum.It is deciduous and very slow growing with an erect habit and silvery grey rounded leaves. It is a female clone bearing female catkins in spring.It may eventually reach 3 feet in height. It is very hardy and makes a terrific addition to a rock garden or trough. Joe

10. Mike N Tims Mom

Mike N Tims Mom Member

Thanks for finally clarifying that one! Any chance of seeing a larger photo, perhaps on Photo of the Day? Also, do you have any idea where it may be available for purchase? Thanks, Sandi

11. Beth Newman

Beth Newman Member

Dear Joe

I work for a wild plant conservation charity based in the UK called Plantlife International, we are dedicated to the conservation of wild plants in their native habitats. I am at the moment trying to source an image of Salix x boydii to illustrate an article in our upcoming magazine about growing wild native plants in a garden setting. I was wondering whether you would mind me using your image and if not whether you could send through to me at beth.newman@plantlife.org.uk at high resolution with suitable caption/credit. I think this is one of the best images i have seen for this species, so i hope you don't mind me appraoching you direct.

I hope to hear from you soon

with kindest regards

Beth Newman

12. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years