A few caudiciforms from Madagascar in South Africa

Discussion in 'Caudiciforms and Pachycaul Trees' started by soekershof, Dec 21, 2009.

1. soekershof

soekershof Member

Adenium uncarina var abreviata.jpg

Moringe draughardyi.jpg
    Two pictures; shot this morning in our garden (apologies for spelling errors in file names).

The one with the yellow flower and visible root system is Adenium uncarina var. abbreviata; originating from Madagascar and extreme poisonous. Natives used sap to poison their arrows and spearheads.

The other one is the Moringe droughardyii which can become 12 metres high and 2 metres wide.

Both plants are grown from seeds (sown in 2001)

Not particular Christmas trees but with the present temeparature (+95 degrees F) it does not feel like Christmas as we were used to in the Northern Hemnisphere.

Anyway: Herman & Yvonne wish all member of this forum a Merry Christmas and a fullfilling 2010.

Enjoy Life.

2. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

Happy Holidays from west Michigan!

I love it when you post your photos. The garden is truly a site to behold.

I do have a question. You labeled one of your plants as Adenium uncarina var. abbreviata. I may be "out of the loop", but every reference that I have seen to date identifies Adenium and Uncarina as separate species. Care to elaborate? Adeniums and Uncarinas, at least from their gross morphology, seem to be pretty distinct. Of course, I am just an amateur and no expert like yourself.

Mark

3. soekershof

soekershof Member

Almost the end of the year and so many (too many......) things to do. We can't forgive ourselves. We still had the old label (as identified by botanist of South African National Botanical Institute!!!!!!!!!!) and should have replaced it long time ago by Uncarina peltata which is the right genus/specie name.

Sorry , sorry , sorry but many thanks for you being so alert. Very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Yvonne (&Hermna)

4. caudiciformken

caudiciformken Active Member

Nice Uncarina! Here is my "baby" Uncarina roeoesliana. It's half sleeping right now,
    but in the summer it looks like the pic.
    It is nicknamed "Have to go potty".....can you see why? lol

Attached Files: