90 foot cedar tree

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by Unregistered, Feb 15, 2005.

1. My dilemma is, what to do with my 90 ft. cedar tree in my side yard. It's standing about 12 - 15 ft. east of my house. It was topped about 8 years ago by 23 ft. It is very valuable because it's like an air conditioner in hot summers. However it sheds so many seeds and dead short branches that the maintenance from fall to spring is very time consuming. The grass beneath is slowly receding each year. To elaborate on the shade situation, my neighbor(east side) also has 2 same trees. So when the sun is due east my back and side yard are in constant shade with a 1/2 hr span of sunshine mid morning. After that my south neighbors house and another cedar tree in his front yard leave me in shade till approx. 2pm. My questions is, should I have the tree cut down or can a tree be pruned or trimmed to be narrower? I'm in a crescent so I don't believe a crane would have access to it.

Lil

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

There is a method used here called spiral pruning, as far as I know it is a method of thinning the larger evergreens by climbing and removing select limbs in a spiral fashion, basicalll going around the tree in circles and reducing the number of limbs. I would suggest to get at least two or more tree care companies (not necessarily tree removal companies) to have a look at your tree and its location etc, they should be able to give you some options of care.

3. Thank you for your good advice. What I have done for now, I've had the bottom branches removed leaving about a 10 to 12 ' trunk. I now get the sun shining into the yard. My lawn will now come back and my other trees and shrubs will be much happier. I will however use your idea in the future.
    Lil.