Identification: 2 seedlings grew from my satsuma seed.. they look very different.

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by ljh, Dec 8, 2015.

1. ljh

ljh New Member

I decided to plant a satsuma seed. I believe that the fruit it came from was supposed to be seedless, but there was one seed in it.

2 seedlings have so far grown out. One of them demonstrated the most extreme vigor, appearing first and growing large fast, and it has leaves that don't look like the citrus seedling pictures I see on the internet.

I only just noticed the second seedling a few days ago (it was that much slower to appear). It looks like the seedlings I see on the internet.

2 pictures should be linked to this post. One shows mainly the big plant (with a pencil in view to help demonstrate its size), and the other one is an attempt to take a picture of the small seedling. The new small one is in the foreground but a little blurred, with the big leaf behind it being in focus. This small seedling is a darker shade of green than the huge whatever-monstrosity plant it is growing with.

Big seedling should be: View image: seedling1

Attempted picture of tiny seedling: View image: seedling2

Wondering what you more experienced people think. These plants are so different. What in the world, huh?

2. ljh

ljh New Member

The big thing had 3 seed leaves when it was newly sprouted. I have a pic of what it looked like back then.

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

The large seedling is not citrus. The smaller one may be, but it's difficult to be certain from the picture.

4. ljh

ljh New Member

Well - hearing that, I took both plants all the way out of their potting soil. I think the big one must have been a renegade spinach seed from something I was messing with before. The little dark green one has got to be my citrus seed.

Now I have just the tiny dark green seedling in this giant pot.. ah well.

Thanks for the help! :> View image: seedling3 <-- what was there

5. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

The small seedling would be happier in small pot, if you have one.