19 October 2017 Planting Main Crop of Garlic

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Durgan, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

19 October 2017 Planting Main Crop of Garlic
    Posted on October 19, 2017 by Durgan
    http://durgan.org/2017/October%202017/19%20October2017%20%20Planing%20Main%20Crop%20of%20Garlic/HTML/ 19 October2017 Planting Main Crop of Garlic
    The main crop of garlic was planted using bulbils, rounds matured. This allows the total main crop to be utilized for market. A total of 140 cloves were planted. Time to plant three hours. Spacing was 6 inches and a depth of two inches. The rows were covered with mulch after planting. The small shoots have no difficulty in penetrating the mulch. The bed requires no maintenance until harvest. The cloves are smaller than using the typical method but this not obvious. Harvest is next July or August 2018
    garlic%20018_std.jpg

2. PNW_biologist

PNW_biologist New Member

Hey,
    Just planted my first garlic and I'm wondering what is in your mulch and what depth of mulch do you normally add on top? I used a mix of maple/shredded conifer at ~3 inches on top of ~3 inches soil.
    Thanks!

3. Durgan

I have found the garlic shoots have no difficulty penetrating three inches of mulch. Plant and forget.

4. PNW_biologist

PNW_biologist New Member

Hopefully it's as easy as it sounds! What is in your mulch, if you don't mind me asking? Have you experimented with woodchips/leaves/conifer mixtures?

5. Durgan

Mulch is ten dollars a yard from a local supplier and it is generally softwood. It deteriorate in about a year. It is used to inhibit moisture loss from Sun evaporation.

6. Durgan

10 April 2018 Garlic Growing 10 April 2018 Garlic Growing
    Garlic is starting to grow. There was snow a few days ago. The first sign of warm weather and garlic starts growing in the Spring. It looks very healthy.

011_std.jpg