Where do I find a coconut seed fro sale in ILLINOIS

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by dogseadepression, Oct 4, 2006.

1. dogseadepression

dogseadepression Active Member

If anyone Could tell me where can i find some coconut palm tree seeds for sale in Illinois Please email the results to Dogseadepression@yahoo.com
    thanks,Wyatt Reinhart

2. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

3. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

4. dogseadepression

Lpn, This message is regarding the message you sent me, What I was looking for was coconut palm seeds for sale in ILLINOIS , the website you gave me was for a company in Europe. It did not have any coconut palm seeds on the website , could you please check for any U.S. plant companies selling coconut palm seeds. Thanks, Wyatt

5. LPN

Again ... http://www.palmsnorth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=572
    This is NOT a European site, only a link to another forum & purely anecdotical.

It might be next to impossible to find an intact coconut (husk and all) outside of the areas in which they grow. Equally impossible to grow inside (and certainly outside) in Illinois, unless of course you have a very large heated greenhouse.

Cheers, LPN.

6. GARYIRYNA

GARYIRYNA Member

MONTE PEGO, COSTA BLANCA, SPAIN Zone 10A or B
    You Could Try Buying A Fresh Coconut From Supermarket, Lay Coconut On Its Side Half Covered With Soil, And Try It That Way. Lot Cheaper Too.

7. GARYIRYNA

GARYIRYNA Member

Coconuts Need Very Warm Temp. Plenty Light.

8. dogseadepression

Garyiryna, Where in Illinois do I find a supermarket with fresh coconut seeds. I would like to know. Thanks, Dogseadepression

9. LPN

Even if you do find a coconut in your grocery store, it will not have the mesocarp (husk) which is required for germination. All coconuts sent to markets are stripped of this and very rarely will one germinate otherwise. The conditions are very demanding for starting a coconut and equally or more so once it begins to grow.

Cheers, LPN.

Attached Files:

10. GARYIRYNA

GARYIRYNA Member

i tried one, and worked to a point, stem came out of coconut shell, but i left in cupboard too long, and could'nt get it to recover, so if you take good care of it, it will work. buy coconut (in its shell of course) all supermarkets here sell them less then 1 euro each. Its worth a try.

11. GARYIRYNA

GARYIRYNA Member

dont forget though, coconut palms are very slow growers. in illinois, cant you buy coconut in its shell?

12. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

In case a source cannot be found in Illinois, here is an online source in Florida.

13. James Park

James Park Member

14. dogseadepression

Hi again , I found some coconut palms last year when I went to the Missouri botanical gardens, but i did not buy one, I should have,they have 3 of them in the gift shop. I also found an adult coconut palm loaded with coconuts at the Quad cities botanical gardens, I should have asked the people working there if i can have a coconut to grow at home. Wyatt

15. Tom24

Tom24 Active Member

Wyatt I don,t know if you found a coconut palm yet , but go to ebay type in coconut palm and there is a company out of hawaii that sells them already grown 12 inches and they say you can grow them in water, but I put mine in soil in a 5 gallon pot and now it is 6 feet tall in a 25 gallon pot they are alot of work and they need a room that does not get any colder than 70 degrees and alot of light, but it is worth it. Here is a pic of mine just recently.

Hope this helps

tom24

Attached Files:

16. DGuertin

DGuertin Active Member 10 Years

Dog,

From reading the thread, it seems that several have hinted at it, but no one has flat out said it. A 'coconut tree seed' is a coconut... It *is* a seed, albeit a very large one that the vast majority of people never think of as a seed. Go to a grocery store to find one. I haven't lived in Illinois for a few years now, but even in Antioch they had whole coconuts. Try a Whole Foods market of whatever nature if you can't find one at a Piggly Wiggly or Jewel...

17. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

I'm simply curious why you would want to grow a coconut in Illinois? In about 4 years the plant will be around 10 feet tall. In 10 years it will be up to 30 feet tall depending on the species you select. Coconuts require near direct sunlight and consistently tropical temperatures in order to survive. They are hardly something that can be grown in a house for more than a couple of years.

I made the mistake of bringing a baby coconut plant about 3 feet tall from Florida when we built our Exotic Rainforest atrium. Within 3 years the plant was so large we had to set it out by the road and allow it to die in the cold. I hated that, and my ceiling is 17 feet tall! It became obvious that in a few more years the tree would weigh a thousand pounds and would punch a hole in the roof.

Coconut plants won't survive at temperatures much below 40 degrees F for any length of time. They require sandy soil, very bright light, and tons of water. It might be a novelty for a short while, but in the end you will either loose it or have to kill it. Not a good choice for your climate.

And the seed is the coconut itself. They are capable of floating across a thousand miles of ocean and once they find land, then produce roots and begin to grow in the sand along some distant shore.

http://www.blurtit.com/q182335.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_2083520_grow-palm-trees-from-vegetables.html

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008