Acer palmatum 'Akane'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Gomero, May 15, 2006.

1. Atichoo

Atichoo Member

Hi fellow gardeners,

I live in Vancouver, BC. I bought the Akane this spring and as I live in a condo, intended to keep it in a pot. It was really nice during spring but after that, all along, it has been exactly like it is now. See pictures.
    The plant seems healthy and wiling to replace the dead leaves. But the overall aspect of the maple is quite miserable.

IMG_0014.JPG IMG_0015.JPG

2. debviolet

debviolet Active Member 10 Years

Hi fellow Enthusiasts!
    My new Akane has developed numerous small black /brown
    spots. Came from Illinois a few weeks ago-I live in western Massachusetts. Yesterday and today temperatures suddenly in mid 90's F and humid after weeks of drizzly overcast skies with temperature between 50--70's F. Online site suggests tar spots and not to treat.
    Does anyone have any experience or ideas about this? I usually use Actinovate as fungicide for fungal issues in my garden, but have luckliy had few fungal issues with my maples.
    Thanks in advance:-) Debviolet

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  3. Geezer840

Geezer840 Active Member 10 Years

I have an Akane in a pot and it looks just like yours. I've had it for three years and have moved it very year with no better luck in any location. It comes out very beautifully in the spring but the red color fades and the leaves seem to dry on the tips with black spots on many. Although it gets adequate water the appearance resembles a tree that is drying out. Soil is fine and drains well.
    Unless someone has a magic suggestion I will put it in the ground in a shady location and not check it for a couple of years. If it dies it dies. I give up.

4. Dsm1gb

Dsm1gb Active Member

Sorry to bring up a thread from the past but I wanted to share pictures of my Akane that is doing the same thing in pretty much all shade except a small portion of morning sun.

This is my first year with this tree so I have nothing to compare it to.

892B2388-FD22-4C89-8065-074466B42071.jpeg D770A1A8-44E9-415A-BDEF-B779A9D39E50.jpeg F1B435DF-CFDD-4294-AD91-16DA54700FE0.jpeg

5. Geezer840

Geezer840 Active Member 10 Years

After four years in a pot I am giving up on my Akane. I've moved it again this year but to no benefit. Today it will come out of the pot and I will find a place in the shade with soil on steroids. If it lives it lives but I can't do anything more for it. Again this year it looked spectacular when it first leafed out but at this point has lost almost all of the leaves and those that are left look pale yellow with lots of brown, dried edges. So life goes on.

6. Dsm1gb

Dsm1gb Active Member

Same with mine, when spring came this was my first maple to leaf out, I kept thinking to myself this is now one of my favorites. It then turned more green from the yellow, and still it looked spectacular and lit up any dark corner I could put it in. Now I’m left with few leaves, spots, and less color...wondering if I want to deal with this every year.

Here’s the spring burst

6601931E-7766-4E14-BEEE-BA97E9B10867.jpeg