What is happening to my fig tree?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by mariel, Jul 6, 2018.

1. mariel

mariel Member

I have a very tall fig tree that is secreting sticky stuff which makes the floor under the tree very sticky all the time. There is no scale or bugs and I am wondering if anyone can tell me what’s happening. There is a little white spec under some leaves and when rubbed is kind of powdery. Please see photos attached. I would love to know what’s goi g on so that I can treat it properly. Thank you in advance for your help.

Attached Files:

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

You have a scale infestation. A number of them can be seen in the middle of the second photo along the stem. The leaf to the right in the same photo has a stippled look which suggests there may be some spider mites present as well. It's a beautiful tree but it's going to take some effort to eradicate the scale because of its size.

3. mariel

mariel Member

What would be the best way to treat this?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2018
  4. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I eliminated scale on a Ficus benjamina by constantly monitoring it and scraping off every bump I could find. It's easy to do with a fingernail. Your plant is much taller than mine however so it would be quite a challenge - maybe worth the effort for such a beauty. Even if you were interested, I don't know of any chemical control that would be practical.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  5. Junglekeeper

You could use insecticidal soap or a derivative of such. However given the enormous size of the tree it would take quite some time and cost to go that route. (If you do, buy the product's concentrate and mix it yourself; it'll be much cheaper that way.) However soaps are ineffective against the adult scale, the ones you can see. Therefore they must be removed manually, which given the size of the tree would make it nearly impossible. Practically it would be best to use a systemic pesticide but I believe they are no longer available at retail in our area. I've not used it before but you could look into using horticultural oil; it may be more effective than the soaps.

By the way, it is likely that your palm is also infested because of its proximity to the fig.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  6. mariel

mariel Member

Yes, I will have to inspect it too. Thanks for your help

7. Junglekeeper

You should wash your hands right after handling the plant in its current condition as you may have picked up a few juveniles, the ones you can't see.