Identification: Lily ID Southern Vancouver Island

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwest Native Plants' started by BMcKay, Jun 19, 2018.

1. BMcKay

BMcKay New Member

I came across this lily last week. It is about 1 foot tall growing between the gravel path and a rockface. Along the 3km walk I saw only 6 plants, widely scattered. Most had one flower , a couple had 2. The flower is about 1 1/2 inches across. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

It looks just like Lilium columbianum, but without the spots. I'm not sure if there is another species that looks like this; E-Flora BC doesn't show anything similar in that genus.

3. BMcKay

BMcKay New Member

That is the closest I have been able to determine, even after looking at hundreds of photos. I have not found any reference to a spotless variety though.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

All of the plants you saw were spotless? Pretty neat mutation.

5. BMcKay

BMcKay New Member

Yes, all spotless. But as I said there were only a half dozen spread over two kilometers of trail and when I was back, last week, they were all gone. I'll certainly look for them next year! Thanks for your help IDing them. My grandson in PEI was really glad I could name them.