Cherry Blossom Tour in Google Earth

Discussion in 'Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival' started by Junglekeeper, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

There is an item in the latest release of Google Earth (Version 9) that would be of interest to a cherry blossom aficionado. One of the three entries in top portion of the Voyager category is entitled Cherry Blossoms in Full Bloom. It's description: "Tour some of the most beautiful and historic sites in Japan when the cherry blossoms are in full bloom."

Google Earth – Android Apps on Google Play

Note: The new version of Google Earth is not available for non-Chrome desktop browsers.

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

You posted this 21 minutes ago and your posting comes up in a google search! That's amazing. Or does it just come up for me because I read it?

OK, I inferred from your comment about where it is not available that the new version is available for Chrome desktop browsers, so usable on a desktop. I had to redo a search in the play store for google earth to bring up a page that has a functioning Install button. It said it was available for all my devices, but the dropdown only showed my phone and my tablet, not the desktop.

Have you see this? On a mobile device or desktop?

3. Junglekeeper

4. Junglekeeper

A map of the 25 sites included in the tour can be seen by closing the introductory screen of the tour rather than pressing on the EXPLORE button. It will take some time to complete the entire tour.

Note: If the tour does not appear amongst the three displayed in the top half of the Voyager screen, it can be found in both the Travel and Nature categories; select the category then swipe up to locate the entry.

5. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Thank you for the nudge, @Junglekeeper. I have finally tried it, got there by clicking on your link in posting #3. Then clicked the word unveiled in the first sentence, clicked Launch Google Earth.
    So the direct link is:
    1. Google Earth (from Chrome browser only)
    2. Click the helm icon on the left (ship's steering wheel), mouse-over says Voyager
    3. Click Nature
    4. Scroll to find Cherry Blossoms in Full Bloom, click that.
    5. On the Explore splash screen, click the X at the upper right to close that.
    6. Zoom in (scroll wheel, or?) to separate the markers, select one you want and click it.
    7. An overview appears at the upper right. Click the blue (person?) icon to get into the location.
    8. To move to a new location, look for the same blue button, which is now a stylized arrow. Click that to return to the map with location markers. clicking Restart takes you to step 5.
    It's curious - bright clear day at the Japan Mint, cherries in full bloom, but no people. And all the cherries are in bloom. Well, not ALL the cherries, but most of them. It's a little different at Usuzumi Park. There were some people. Hirano Shrine, mostly no people.

Thanks again for posting this.