I think I can squeeze in a JM

Discussion in 'Maples' started by copperbeech, May 24, 2018.

1. copperbeech

copperbeech Active Member 10 Years

I know it is difficult to make recommendations via a forum as there are so many variables that only the poster (me) are aware of. But if you will bear with me I would still like to try.

I will very likely need a replacement for a tree standard hibiscus which after a good life is probably dead. (It can be seen at the back corner where the wood panel fence meets the chain link).

Given the tight quarters I need it to be slow growing with a height after say 10 years to be 7 or 8 feet tops. I think for visual interest a cascading dissectum, probably a red, but not necessarily. The location does not get much direct prolonged sunlight. I do want it to be winter hardy as I am a bit tired of protecting these trees.

Thanks for your expertise.

Attached Files:

2. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Red filigree holds it's color extremely well in shade. It is cold hardy. Tamukeyama is bullet proof and easy to keep within bounds. Beni otake is a Willow leaf that is slow growing and I think would look good too.

Orangeola or Pendula Julian would work as multi color choices.

Last edited: May 25, 2018
    copperbeech likes this.
  3. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Can't comment on the cold hardiness issue, but I would suggest you try a solitaire graft, that is the dissectum grafted near the height you already want it. Then it will cascade down, and you'll get early interest from it, instead of having to wait years. Of course they do look like something out of Dr Suess for the first couple of years!

copperbeech likes this.
  4. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Learnt something today ;-)

"Theodor Seuss Geisel (/ˈsuːs ˈɡaɪzəl/ ( 11px-Loudspeaker.svg.png listen);[1] March 2, 1904 – September 24, 1991)[2] was an American author, political cartoonist, poet, animator, book publisher, and artist, best known for authoring more than 60 children's books under the pen name Doctor Seuss (abbreviated Dr. Seuss) (/suːs/)"

... And buying one which is grafted high (3 feet) is a very good suggestion.

5. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Well it's off topic, but you should make sure you see "How the Grinch stole Christmas" with Boris Karloff. It's a treat, as is much of the Seussian universe. Much of it has entered into the vernacular of American popular idiom. Check it out, you're in for a treat! Green eggs and ham, no less.

AlainK likes this.