Is something eating my Japanese maple?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Dsm1gb, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Dsm1gb

Dsm1gb Active Member

I have an emporer 1 Japanese maple planted in the ground. Morning sun, afternoon shade. I water very early in the morning hours, 5 minutes everyday for now.

As spring has arrived I have just noticed a few wilting leaves, and when up close it looks as if something is eating my maples leaves.

I can’t find any bugs on the underside of the leaves with a naked eye.

If anyone has any suggestions I’d greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Well of course, there are a lot of bugs that may take the occasional chomp out of a maple or any other plant. That's the advantage of a garden rather than a "parking lot!" Your maple looks good to me, but I'd worry a little about the amount of water you're giving. Though I don't know the Bishop area, does it maybe get really hot there? Your watering regime would be fine in, say, Fresno.

I'd look for stem damage, wrt the bugs, if there isn't any try and back off the watering a little.

-E

Dsm1gb likes this.
  3. Dsm1gb

Dsm1gb Active Member

Bishop is pretty hot and dry. In the summers it’s anywhere from 90 F to 100+ F but it really cools off at night even down to the 60-70s.
    Haven’t seen anymore damage since then. I noticed I have a lot of “earwig” bugs in my yard, not sure if they eat that kind of stuff.