What is this groundcover nr Vanc in shade moist lawn

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Georgia Strait, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    A neighbour is wondering what this small ground cover is

The leaf is green and some are variegated w white and green

It is approx 5” tall

It does not have vine but maybe underground it has runners

I can’t recall if it dies back in winter

The leaves are soft like butter lettuce (ie not hard leaves like ivy or laurel)

There’s a dandelion leaf in the photo for scale comparison

EDIT - forgot to say this is near the beach in Greater Vancouver

Thx

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Aegopodium? That should grow taller than 5 inches though.

3. Georgia Strait

Interesting - thank you - next time i am in that garden I will look more closely
    a. leaf shape etc
    b. ask if any flowers ever
    c. there might be two diff plants mixed in that one photo - variegated and solid leaf versions

it's a very UNtended garden - so I'm not surprised if this "wild" plant has made an entree - mainly large shrubs surrounding a shade moss/grass lawn.

(I assumed it was an escapee from a long-forgotten summer hanging basket - like that awful variegated hanging basket vine (not ivy) that is everywhere in the wild forest that someone has dumped garden waste around the coast here a couple of decades ago)

EDIT - maybe it was from a hanging basket planter - this useful info from North Vancouver gov't
    Invasive Plant Species

4. Keke

Keke Active Member 10 Years

That’s Aegopodium all right. Runs like a deer — keep it corralled in concrete or it’ll end up everywhere. It does have underground runners. That said, I have successfully removed it from a garden bed in the past, over a period of three or four years, by digging it and carefully sifting out every scrap of root, and then digging and sifting again whenever any tiny leaf showed its face. But it’s one of the ones I won’t have in my yard, along with Vinca. Apparently if you keep it dry it doesn’t run quite as badly.

5. Georgia Strait

Thank you - I’m having an ongoing battle w fireweed in my residential garden - nr Vanc - still after 8 years since the very expensive “topsoil “ was delivered and now it’s spread underground everywhere - not to mention all the fluffy seeds

Always buy cooked verified soil - this has been a mess - ruined so many perennials due to digging up to get rid of fireweed

I agree - the humm birds love fireweed and it’s pretty in calendar photos and scenic postcards of the Yukon! But not here - fluffy seeds make neighbors w pool not happy ;)

Again - never buy unverified soil - it should be cooked etc

EDIT TO ADD - yes I agree about vinca - and any ivy of course
    Thx.