Identification: Found in barn. What is it??

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Curious non-botanist, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Curious non-botanist

Curious non-botanist New Member

Hello, we found these really fine, hair-like strands in the roof area of our barn. What could it possibly be? I found some conversation threads from this forum from 10 years ago which is the closest thing on the topic that I could find on the Internet — that that’s how I discovered this forum!
    Identification: - 4 inch long hair like fungus
    Is it the same thing? They don’t exactly look the same, but they are hair-like.
    Thank you for any help or suggestions!

Attached Files:

2. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Thanks for posting this C N-B: Any chance of a close up on a couple of the hairs?

3. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Fiberglass insulation wrapping?

4. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Thanks Eric - I'm similarly wondering about something called "horsehair plaster" that came up in a search. Also, whether a nest-making critter might have transported/collected it, regardless of its nature, into the rafters for building in preparation for spring perhaps. Unless it shows signs of fungal structure in a close-up shot, it seems too long/large for any of the zygomycetes I've encountered.
    ADD: Also found some online photos under "hemp fibre industrial insulation material" that look similar.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018