Wondering what kind of oak this is?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Amanda Mancini, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Amanda Mancini

Amanda Mancini New Member

This is my first post. Looking for some help identifying the type of oak this is.
    It is in North Vancouver. Thanks in advance!

Amanda

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2018
  2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

You have two different species in photo #3, one of the red oaks (left & right), and one of the white oaks (centre)

3. Amanda Mancini

Amanda Mancini New Member

Thank you for your reply! Now that I look closer at the leaves remaining on the tree, it must be a white oak. (Only lobed leaves on the tree). And the other leaves must be from a nearby red oak. Any chance you would know which type of white oak it could be?

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I thought the centre one looked like Garry Oak, Quercus garryana. Someone could correct me on that.

5. Dave Mancini

Dave Mancini New Member

Thanks Wendy, we also thought that the lobed shaped leaves in the centre could possibly be a Quercus garryana. I was able to capture a few more images that may help. I got one picture of a leaf, which the underside felt smooth to the touch. I also tried to capture some images of what look to me like acorn-stalks (peduncles). I apologize for some of the blurry photos.

https://wmswcd.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Quercus-robur-v-garryana-ID-guide.pdf

I found this guide online that suggests to me that this oak maybe a Quercus robur based on the fact that it does have acorns on stalks. I was hoping someone in this botanical forum with a little more knowledge of local North Vancouver oak trees could help us confirm if this is the case.

Attached Files:

6. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I'm confused. I was going by the leaf petiole, which are very short on Quercus robur. But Q. robur acorns are supposed to be bullet-shaped, about 3cm long (from the Vancouver Trees App | UBC Botanical Garden). Is that really the peduncle that's shown in your photos?
    I'm out of this now.

7. Dave Mancini

Dave Mancini New Member

These tiny acorns seem to have remained from last season without falling off in the winter storms. They are the only examples I can go off of at this time of year since all the fully matured acorns fell off long ago. Last season we did have much larger bullet shaped acorns about 3/4 of an inch in size.

They appear to me to be on a long skinny acorn stalk or peduncle. The stem itself has a different appearance compared to the rest of the tree branches and limbs which made me think it could be a peduncle suggesting a robur. All the pictures of Garry oak acorns I see online appear closely bunched at the end of the branches themselves. Whereas the photos I see online for the English oaks seem to include a photo with the long skinny acorn stem.

8. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

The three acorns in the photos appear to be on a dead branch, one that probably died before the acorns were able to mature. Their appearance probably does not reflect the true character of mature acorns on this tree.

9. Dave Mancini

Dave Mancini New Member

Yes I agree. It is too difficult to determine at this time. We plan to wait for this year's leaves and acorns to help us determine for sure. Thanks for the information.

10. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yep, Pedunculate Oak Quercus robur with aborted acorns.

11. Dave Mancini

Dave Mancini New Member

Thanks for your reply! This is what we were thinking as well. We will be sure to post some more photos in a few months when the leaves and acorns return.