would anyone be kind enough to tell me how to take cuttings off a philodendron bipinnatifidum.

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by Botanically Baked, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Botanically Baked

Botanically Baked New Member

I am currently aware of how to take cuttings off the trailing/climbing vine species of them but i would like to take a cutting off a potted bipinnatifidum that i havent allowed to go really anywhere. yes i know google....but google cant tell one ones specifics or little tech they may have to get it to root faster or the best way that works for them in general. sharp device at the ready. im a cultivator of cannabis for my career so i have pumps and air for just rooting in water faster and of course hormones etc.....where do i cut??? where do i begin??? thanks in advance. stay green.

2. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

Razor it off just below a node. Maybe a finger's width below. Have at least one leaf, and preferably not a large unfurling new one. Those sap too much energy. If that's all you have, then go for it, but perhaps cut the new leaf in half. I would not root in water unless you plan to grow it hydroponically. Something rather loose and well drained, cover the node and the tiny bit of stem, support it with a stake if necessary. You don't need to water it much unless your medium is bone dry. Then soak, submerged for a few minutes, drain, and wait until the surface dries to water again. You can tent it with plastic to increase humidity.

3. Botanically Baked

Botanically Baked New Member

Thank you my buddy has a pop up nursery and was asking for a cutting but has been too busy to reply on really how i would go about it. i have some orchid mix ill root it in with some good potting soil mixed, perlite aswell . it has new growth starting to emerge (a new leaf) i suppose ill wait untill after its unfurled to make a cut on a more mature neighbor. i also dont really see a node its just stem to stock no shared nodes what so ever yet

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2018
  4. thanrose

When you see these old and sprawling, as I often do, you'll realize it does grow as a vine, and has leaf nodes as any philodendron would. If you don't cut below a leaf scar/node, the cutting won't root. (Pardon the pedantry. My sister insisted on trying to root a Monstera with just the petiole...)

You don't have to cut any of the leaves at this point. If you had a new one almost full size, not yet fully unfurled, it would continue to take vigor from the cutting. That's why you would curtail that leaf by cutting it in half. With a small tight leaf just starting, it will likely just remain small and tight until there is enough root to nourish it.

5. Stephen H

Stephen H New Member

So is this where I would take a cutting?

Attached Files:

6. thanrose

Maybe 6-10 cm below the green petioles. The stem is still fairly young there and rooting should be easy enough. I'd probably let it dry for a few hours after cutting, then dust with rooting hormone. Plant it, and stake it while it is growing roots to support it.

Stephen H likes this.
  7. Stephen H

Stephen H New Member

Do I remove the aerial roots, those long stipules that hang off near the base of the petioles? Ta

And can I remove them from the main plant. It's in an indoor pot and the stipules are about 5 foot long trailing across the carpet.

8. thanrose

The reason your aerials grow so long is that they are trying to find a substrate in which to anchor the roots. You can prune them off the main plant if you find them unsightly, but I would keep at least a bit of them in the cuttings precisely to anchor the plant.