About Kefir Grains and Kefir

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Durgan, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

A long read but worth it. I shall order some kefir grains from Australia.

About Kefir Grains and Kefir; their history, use, extended use, and health benefits

Dom's All About Kefir in-site About Kefir Grains and Kefir; their history, use, extended use, and health benefit

2. Precious

Precious New Member

That is a long way ordering it from Australia from Dom. You should be able to find local people in Canada who sell kefir grains. I have been growing them for 20 yrs myself.

3. Durgan

There are plenty of kefir grains available, but what they consist of is left to chance. Dom has his original and over time has mixed them with 12 others from various sources. I am imagining his grains are probably as complete as it is possible to obtain.

Here is Dom's blurb.
    “I obtained my milk kefir-grains in late summer of 1978 from a local friend who has her own milking goats. The circumstances surrounding the fashion if which I was able to procure those milk kefir-grains, which I was on the lookout for about 3 years prior, is an interesting story in its own merit. The culture has been diligently cared for by yours truly over this time. Among the original stock is currently a mixture of now 12 other batches of milk kefir-grains which have been obtained from different sources around the world over the years. These are now mixed together as a single batch, to ensure best quality culture from all batches mixed together as one. This is my personal observation with much research on my part.”

I haven't received the Australian grains as yet.

4. Precious

Precious New Member

Last I looked he was in financial debt trouble I am surprised he is still up and running. Mine are from Caucus grown in goats milk but whether goats milk, cows milk, camels milk it's all the same. If you want prolific and diverse strains your best bet is naturally fermented cabbage., which is extremely simple to make at home, and as cheap as borsch.

5. Durgan

Where did you get Caucus (Caucasus Mountains) Kefir grains? I haven't seen any sites pointing to Caucasus Mountains kefir grains.
    One would imagine some Russian would become an entrepreneur and sell Caucasus kefir grains.