Identification: Help me identify this plant.

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Chance, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Chance

Chance New Member

This beautiful “vine” grows so fast. I have a hard time keeping up with it. It does not support itself, and as it grows I pin it to the wall. Now, I don’t poke a hole into it, I simple use two thumb tacks to keep the “stem?” in place on the wall. I water it every 3 days or so, but I have no experience as a botanist so I’m just guessing as I go along. My problem is that twice a week I find yellow or “burnt” leaves or edges. I prune them as I find them. I do not know what this vine is called so I’m not sure if I’m watering it too much or am doing something else wrong. Any assistance would be appreciated, also, is it possible to slow its growth?

Thank you

Attached Files:

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

It is commonly known as Pothos, or Golden Pothos. Botanical name seems to be Epipremnum aureum.

I don't know that there is anything you can do about deteriorating leaves. As you note, it gets a lot of new leaves, and it is going to discard a lot of old leaves. When a stem seems to be more bare than leaf-covered, you can cut it off at the base, cut a piece of around 8 inches from the end (or 4-6 leaves worth), remove the oldest two leaves and root it (either use a rooting hormone and put it in a new pot, or never mind the rooting hormone, or even try pushing it into the current pot - depends how much you care if it roots or not and how much room there is in the pot).

The way you have this arranged on the wall will make removing the old stems pretty easy.

If you notice that browning happening on new leaves, then you would need to want to change something you're doing. I don't think you can slow the growth, but you can cut off any of the branches, say at around 8 inches, and it will branch out more. The leaves might be smaller, though. And it would get more bushy and harder to arrange on your wall. You can cut the branches anywhere, but if you trim the ends and it starts a new growing tip right there, you won't have accomplished anything.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Probably too wet, water less often. And don't leave sitting in water for extended periods. Also when the stems of this plant get more than 4 ft. long often the lower leaves are discarded - as with Monstera deliciosa (another popular climber in same family) - when you see it growing up walls and tree trunks outdoors in suitable climates the foliage may become concentrated well above the ground.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  4. Chance

Chance New Member

Thank you!

5. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

Both Ron and Wendy have given you good information. You have actually managed to make this almost attractive to me. It's kind of a nuisance in Florida yards and parks.

While it is a rainforest plant, it can endure quite a bit of neglect, including low lighting. Your leaves and stems look adequately nourished and hydrated, but they could use more light if you want to retain the marbling of white or yellow. When it grows in absolute shade down here, it will go all green. They also are of good size considering they are indoors.

When it is climbing a tree and maturing, the leaves will tend to form splits. Trunks of palm trees can be covered with these foot long green and yellow leaves, with the stems surviving a freeze by being wedged into the palm's bootjacks (stubs from the fallen fronds). That is not going to happen for you, unless you are below zone 8 and willing to leave it outside.

If you were to cut this down to the soil almost, you would have new growth very soon. If you cut way out on the ends, same result, only new growth will occur only at the last one or two nodes. Maybe you could take one third or one half the number of stems back to a couple of nodes to see how you like that.

I'd suggest you hold off on any fertilizer until well into spring if you want to slow the growth. Better lighting might also boost growth but you'll need it for continued variegation.