Missing Thread

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by Junglekeeper, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

What happened to the the thread requesting information on how to get a clivia to bloom? I believe it was started on Dec 3 in the Indoor and Greenhouse Plants forum.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

It's a new kind of spam where old postings from other members are copied (thereby bypassing content filters) so that theoretically privileges can be elevated once a reputation has been made. A lot of work on the spammers part, frankly.

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Interesting. I thought the question was similar to the one in the past but didn't notice that it was identical. Aren't such posts difficult to spot or is there an automated function to weed them out? (Answer only if it doesn't give away any secrets.)

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

It was identical--you may recall it had some very precise carriage returns.

There were the two similar posts held in moderation this morning, different user but exact same spam pattern.

There are other things I look for as well (there's a reason people have to put in their location when registering).

5. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

It really helped (me, anyway) that you mentioned that.