Lonicera?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by nitrogeninthesoil, Nov 17, 2017.

1. nitrogeninthesoil

nitrogeninthesoil Active Member 10 Years

Hi,

I'm trying to identify this tree/vine/shrub. It still has its leaves though most other trees in the area have dropped theirs. It appears to be one of a kind but I'm guessing it's not native....is it a honeysuckle bush or something related? Located in Appalachians, N. Virginia. Woodland edge. I took pics of leaves, including undersides, a close-up of leaves which are compound and opposite. I don't see hairs on leaves but stem is somewhat "velvet-y". I read somewhere that Asian Lonicera plants have hollow stems....this plant does not have hollow stems but then I've probably got the Lonicera part all wrong! The plant is about 6 ft and is beginning to look like a vine. It is not bittersweet (Asian) and I don't think it's a rose...there is Rosa multiflora in the area.

Thanks for all suggestions!

Attached Files:

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Maybe a privet. Ligustrum sinense is a common invasive in SE USA.

3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Those are simple leaves - you can see the nodes at the source of each leaf where new leaves or flowers can grow.
    It looks like it might be Ligustrum vulgare, European privet, see Ligustrum vulgare (European privet): Go Botany, but I would wait till someone else responds.

4. wcutler

I posted my reply before I saw Eric's, am glad to see he said privet as well. The Ligustrum sinense seems to be quite hairy, according to photos on the same site I mentioned above: Ligustrum sinense (Chinese privet): Go Botany. @Eric La Fountaine , since this is said to be hairless, and no hairs are really visible in the photos, maybe it's L. vulgare?

5. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yeah, I did not really look closely at species, just noticed that one on an invasive list.

6. nitrogeninthesoil

Thank-you Wendy and Eric. Yes, I see now that the leaf is simple not compound....and it does look similar to L. vulgare but to my untrained eye the leaves on the one I took pics of were narrower and longer and they were all wavy to some extent. I don't see "waviness" on the leaves of L. vulgare or L. sinense...maybe this is just something peculiar to this individual specimen? The small patch of land where this plant was found hosted Aralia elata, Rosa multiflora and Paulownia tomentosa...I have gotten most of this under control and am wondering whether I should take this plant out as well.....is there any chance that it is something native? Thanks!

7. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I'd make sure this was not Osmanthus americanus before removing it. At any rate I do not think it is a Ligustrum.

8. wcutler

Welcome back, Ron! It's obvious how much we've missed you.

Silver surfer likes this.
  9. nitrogeninthesoil

Ron,
    Thank-you for your response. I have not removed this plant as it seems to be one of a kind and as long as it doesn't seem to be growing aggressively I will leave it alone. Could you tell me what makes you think it is not Ligustrum? I am trying to improve my id'ing skills and still have a LONG way to go :)!

Jan

10. Fidel

Fidel Active Member

I have a bay tree (Lauris nobilis) in my garden, and the leaves look remarkably similar. Just a thought as the discussion continues...

11. wcutler

Laurus have alternate leaves, while the photos here show leaves opposite.