HELP! Wandering Jew frost damage

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Dreamweaver1087, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Dreamweaver1087

Dreamweaver1087 New Member

I am just heartbroken ! I had a beautiful purple Wandering Jew and I think I killed it. I forgot to bring it in and it got down to 28° last night! It's still purple but the vines are so limp. I brought it inside and cut it all off right down to the soil and just left the roots buried and have it in the window but not in direct sunlight. Is there a chance that the roots survived and it can be saved???????

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2017
  2. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

If it was hanging close to the house on the west side, the answer would be probably. If it was hanging from a pole in the backyard, possibly not. Realistically, if the soil was frozen, the roots are likely dead. With a brief early morning freeze and a sizable pot, it may survive. Keep doing what you are doing, and wait it out. If you don't see growth by spring, it is dead.

Dreamweaver1087 likes this.
  3. Dreamweaver1087

Dreamweaver1087 New Member

Thank you so much! As a matter of fact I had it hanging on my front porch which is on the west side and when I clipped it all back right down to the roots I noticed that the soil was not frozen. We did not get a hard freeze it was just a light frost and there was no frost on the soil at all and actually the roots and some of the vine that was laying right on the soil we're still hard and not mushy like the rest of it. It may sound silly but this particular Wandering Jew has a lot of sentimental value to me and is very close to my heart because of a special family member that gave it to me has passed away. Thank you so much for giving me hope if anything at all you have honestly given me hope! :)

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Agree the roots will likely survive.

Go easy on watering, while there is little or no foliage, its water needs will be very low, and if it gets too wet, it could get root rot. Keep the soil no more than just slightly moist, never dripping wet.