Identification: Recover Citrus in pots

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by Guy Wilkinson, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Guy Wilkinson

Guy Wilkinson New Member

I have a few plants that I over watered tried heating the pots between 23-26c with base heat 12 plants are eating themselves from the roots being too active without light now I added some grow lights and removed the base heat and are trying to recover them they are just green sticks since most of the leaves fell off and they are staying wet 4-6 inches down. I pulled 6 and potted them in 1 gallon pots thinking the roots were rotting from being to wet well they did not like that and were turning brown so I pruned them way back to just a few inches above the graph. The others I left in clay pots may have a chance if I get it right. I drilled out 5-1 inch holes in the clay pots when they were first planted for better drainage. What to do?

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

I would pop each tree out of its container and inspect the roots. If they are indeed rotting I would trim away the mushy parts, replant the tree into a porous medium, expose it to plenty of light, then hope for the best. Bottom heat may help stimulate root growth.

Guy Wilkinson likes this.
  3. Guy Wilkinson

Guy Wilkinson New Member

That is what I did for those 6 the problem was watering in the roots after re-potting they are staying wet on the heat bed 23c pot temp. Soil mix was 50l bag of garden pro with kelp one 5 gal pail of perlite and 2.5 gallon pail of 1/2 inch minus pumice stone. When re-potting can you pack the dirt and leave out the water?

4. Junglekeeper

That's what I did recently when I repotted one of my trees. I guess it would depend on how much moisture there is in the soil as well as the health of the root system.

5. Guy Wilkinson

Guy Wilkinson New Member

I will try magnesium sulfate to see if it's root lock from too much fertilizer, that should flush out the roots and let them take up again even though they are wet, will mix in bacteria to help the roots and raise the bottom heat to 28c.

6. Junglekeeper

FWIW, I read that 29-36C is optimal for citrus root growth. I'm not aware of any benefit to citrus of mixing bacteria or fungus into the soil. Can you provide further information?

7. Guy Wilkinson

Guy Wilkinson New Member

So I asked some growers and showed them the plants. They think the ph was stunting the plants to the point of starving them for water even though I watered so a good flush with water below 6.0 three times 1 week apart even if wet with an addition of a root helper 0-1-1 was recommended. Pot's not to be transplanted and left on the heat 30c and given good light. The bacteria was to help get rid of the blockage so the roots can take up what they need it's the same bacteria you can buy or get from the forest floor this was from an old grower I talked too years ago. So now we wait and see.

8. Junglekeeper

A high pH would inhibit the uptake of nutrients but I'm not so sure about moisture. I'm still not sure how bacteria would play a part in all this. Normally, if there is a symbiotic relationship it involves fungi in fixing nitrogen for the benefit of the plant. I don't think the uptake of water is related to that.

9. Guy Wilkinson

Guy Wilkinson New Member

I am looking for that article will post it for you to read when I find it.

10. Guy Wilkinson

Guy Wilkinson New Member

So it moved on to avocado
    137024-78bd34cc86f897f026ae0a2076d5c30c.jpg
    137025-9952ffed76ef3c1019766de68b60ba3c.jpg
    137023-ed32de2304dc9830051d22deba5178ef.jpg
    tree leaves were still soft 2 days ago. Moisture meter is maxed out poked 3/4 in holes all around the pot to air out the roots have a look.

Attached Files:

11. Junglekeeper

My condolences. I'm afraid I don't have any more advice to offer.

12. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I don't know that there is any help for this one, but I wonder about the moisture meter, just because the only time I used one, it seemed to be totally wrong. With a pot that small, you should be able to judge by lifting the pot when it's near dry, comparing that to the weight after the plant is watered well (and the soil is wet), then watering when it is not nearly as heavy as when just watered. That avocado photo is so dark because you photographed it at night? Or did it really not get natural light?

I'm not a grower, don't know anything about heat and lights (or soil or anything else, citrus in particular). But wouldn't these plants want to be mostly dormant at this time of year? No particular soil requirements, no extra heat or lighting, just enough water to get by until spring?

Note that you're in the Citrus forum here. If you want to talk about your Avocado or other fruit and nut plants, it would be better to post those in Fruit and Nut Trees. And have a look at Attach photos and files for attaching the photos in the text area so that they're clickable there (if you want to do that).

13. Guy Wilkinson

Guy Wilkinson New Member

137038-f30d0b1cc5fed057e36528407bb3b2e4.jpg
    137039-797a3951d5a4f58f8ae8c3f7d88dbc11.jpg
    I was just showing what the citrus did leaves stayed green shriveled up no brown edges or yellowing yes this plant is an avocado the other problem plants have no leaves. Better pictures the pot is about 40lbs empty 1 inch clay pot size 16" across the top and 14"deep so it's pretty big to move around. Yes it does get good natural light. I was waiting for the soil to dry it's been sept 10 till now since I watered it. I will look at fruits and nuts thanks.

Attached Files:

14. Guy Wilkinson

Guy Wilkinson New Member

The mystery has been solved the PH was at 2 I didn't think of checking since I used garden pro with kelp and the water source was 7.5 so I think too much granular sulfur was added to the mix.

15. Junglekeeper

Good to hear that you figured out the cause. I hope it's not too late for the plants. Thanks for reporting back.