Wood instead of plastic toothbrush?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Forester1344, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Forester1344

Forester1344 New Member

I felt like this was the best place to ask this question, I'm curious to know what material your toothbrush is? I've been using plastic and would like to change to something a bit more eco friendly. Any suggestions?

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Problem with wood is that with the constant wet/dry/wet/dry it tends to rot and break down. But give it a go if you can find one!

3. Forester1344

Forester1344 New Member

You're technically supposed to swap out your toothbrush every 3-4 months anyways right? Would it rot faster than that?

4. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Strange question in the "Maples forum", but anyway:

When I was a kid, we didn't have a washing-machine, my mother (not my father, this was mid-20th century) used a washboard and "une brosse à chiendent" - can't find the English translation. But I wouldn't use it for my teeth. Maybe for horse's teeth, but not mine.

The wood of some maple species could be all right for the handle of the brush: montpellier maple wood is very hard for instance, but animal hairs would be more suitable.

But because of the porous qualities of wood, even the harder ones, will retain bacteria, etc.

Unless you keep it in a glass of chlorine maybe...

5. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

Some people used bone with boar bristle back 100 years ago. I would imagine that bamboo of some sort would be suitably sustainable if anyone is making them now.

I'm thinking the rechargeable power toothbrushes are the way to go. Only the brush part is changed out.

Keeping it forum relevant, maple does have a nice tight grain.

AlainK likes this.
  6. Forester1344

Forester1344 New Member

Yea sorry about the random question in the wrong area. I couldn't find a section for something like this though lol. I have seen some stuff on bamboo but isn't bamboo also porous? I like the chlorine cup idea. Or maybe just hang it from its bristles and that way the water will drip all the way off. Thanks for all the useful info so far. I like the horse tooth story as well =D

So yea I've settled on bamboo. There is a chance of rot and mold but I will simply not place it in a traditional toothbrush holder. An easy exchange to save the world of some of my waste.

Trying to pick between these three Bamboo Toothbrush - Be Kind to the World - We Travel and Blog
    Probably all really the same. Thanks for all the help until now =D

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  7. Navneet Yadav

Navneet Yadav New Member

Here in India , we have used Neem and Babool tree for this since ancient times.
    Just break off a twig early morning and you are ready to go. ( No harm to the whole tree in just a little twig), but then came British invaders to loot us, and started calling us fools to use such a way of cleaning teeth. That's why it's out of use in urban areas.
    Mum says, use Neem twig to keep away bad breath and infections (which are scientifically proven now), and Babool twigs for strength of gums.
    We call it "Datoon".
    No need of tooth paste . Free of cost. Health benefits.

BTW , it's my first post here.
    Thanks

pinenut and AlainK like this.
  8. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

... and a very interesting post.

Neem oil is also used by bonsai enthusiasts to prevent attacks from a wide range of insects and also as a plant fortifier.

9. Navneet Yadav

Navneet Yadav New Member

Thank you so much.
    Yep! benefits of Neem are no longer hidden to the world as scientists took it seriously, :-D.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2017
    pinenut likes this.
  10. pinenut

pinenut Active Member 10 Years

About the issue of retaining bacteria: It may be a myth, but butchers always used maple chopping blocks based on the theory that it had enzymes that inhibited or destroyed bacteria. (And they were a hard durable wood). I much prefer them as cutting boards. I just don't trust the plastic ones.
    As for plastic toothbrushes? I use what I can get. If I had access to Neem or Babool I'd probably give it a try.

11. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

My neighbour just showed me, a propos of nothing, the bamboo toothbrush she just got, and I was reminded of this thread. Someone else in the building had placed an order that seemed to be lost, so he ordered it again and then both orders arrived. This is from Bamboo Toothbrushes for Adults | Brush Naked Bamboo Toothbrush Company. There is a Canadian and US site.
    She has only been using it for a week, likes it fine. The bristles are soft. She said the bristles start somewhat black, so they must be the charcoal-infused ones.

She has also started using the charcoal toothpaste offered on the same website. It looks like tar, in a jar; since the bristles start black, it's not a problem that the toothpaste turns them black. It smells like peppermint; the taste was not as pepperminty as the smell but she said it's not bad. Curiously, charcoal is supposed to have some whitening effect on the tooth surface. It does look black when brushing.

She is also planning to buy compostable floss.

12. Thomas Henriksen

Thomas Henriksen New Member

As mentioned above I can also recommend a bamboo toothbrush. Easy to use and good for the environment.

13. pinenut

pinenut Active Member 10 Years

Just for the heluvit I clicked the link for Babool. Found Vachellia nilotica which somehow became Acacia nilotica. Can someone clarify that for me? Anyway I ordered up some seeds for the A. nilotica and most, if not all, germinated. 4 of about 50 have survived. (The one I gave to my favourite laundromat operator didn't make it unfortunately. She knew what it was though.) Apparently Neem seed has a very limited viability period, so I'll try ordering some next May or June. So, if anything survives, how long do I have to wait for my Indian toothbrush?
    Thanks for that most interesting post Navneet.